Kessil

Maxspect Gyre 200 Series

Have been using my MP40's for over 5 years, tried a XF150 Gyre for a little bit, but props kept breaking. Plus it shifted too much sand on the other end of tank. Went back to the MP40's, until BRS Black Friday came. Just installed dual XF250 with the 200 series controller, and looking to start discussing settings with others in the same boat.

Quick review: The 200 series seem to be made better and stronger than the previous gen. Also, it comes with a nice netting to protect the openings, much better than foam without impeding the flow. So I don't think I'll have broken props... we'll see. Still learning the controller, but it's pretty neat in what it can do.

Tank Size and Dimensions: 120 Gallon 4x2x2
Pump Size(s): 2 x XF250
Cage/Prop Used: Stock A/B
Placement/Orientation: Opposite Ends on Side of Tank, Horizontal, about 1" below water surface, each cage 1/2 tick rotated down
Mode(s)/Schedule(s): Testing LTC at 60% Maximum (think I'm supposed to use same prop/cage setup A/A or B/B so will probably need to swap those in)

Trying to see which gets the most random flow without making a sandstorm with my fine grain sand. Also automatic schedule, but I may create my own after a few of you chime in. I've never programmed a night mode to tone things down before, don't know if it's beneficial or not, but may try OGC mode next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excited about this thread, will be very interested to hear what people say. I've read some people putting one gyre on one side and mp40s on the other. But best results seem to be 2 gyres one on each side like you have it. Some keep their mp40s as well maybe on back wall to help with random turbulent flow. But I don't know if that messes with the whole gyre concept of laminar flow throughout the tank. Eager to hear your experience. Are you stocked with SPS mostly?

I got my xf250 installed. Haven't realty messed with it much but they are bigger than there xf150 I had. Ended buying two xf250 so they look symmetrical on my system and sold my xf150.

I think they are supposed to be lower like 2-4 inches below surface, as I've seen in youtube videos. Just trying to keep it as high as possible to make it look cleaner.

Nothing more on the gyre?

Any issues with sand blowing away exposing bottom?

Success in achieving random flow?

Any positioning besides horizontally each end of tank?

Is anyone running a hybrid system, gyre with some other powerhead?

(Bump)

So far, not too crazy sand movement, but there is some because I'm running stronger than necessary because of my cyano problem. But you can tone it down for sure and still have plenty of flow.

It's easy to create a lot of random flow, especially with 2 power heads. The controller is really easy to use and program once you get it.

Can do each pump with random setting, and setting max power for each one. Easiest to use.

Also trying forward reverse cycle, which is program for each pump. Set max forward power and for how long, and then set reverse power and for how long. It repeats that, ramping up and down between cycles.

Then you can mix all those programs and combine them. You set the clock of the controller. Then just put in programs and at what time, sort of like programming a thermostat. So I ramp down the power when lights go out. And much slower at night. Then ramp it up for a few hours in the morning.

I'll try to make a video when able, but let me know if any of you want to check it out. Tank is at my work in North SJ during regular business hours.

Back