Neptune Aquatics

Media Reactors

I'm looking to purchase a media reactor and due to space limitations, I would like to stack two different types in one tube, carbon and one for phosphate. Is it possible to do it that way? Which one should go on top/bottom?

I believe you can use multiple media's in a phosban reactor
Maybe separate the two medias by putting them into different media sacks; not sure if this might cause clogging though, or too much flow restriction. If you use the sponges that fit inside, I think the media may slowly mix over time.
As for which should come first, I don't see why it would matter :)
If space is an issue, is it all possible to run the reactors outside of your stand, or where ever your sump is? Then you can use multiple reactors, and maybe even hook them all up together, like the Viaqua Poly-Reactors :D

+1
Two TLF reactors don't take that much real estate and if you need to change either media is way easier.
But if you need just one, use a media bag to facilitate exchange of the media.
The Via Aqua are nice little things and I believe they include a pump, that's a plus.

The disadvantage is that you will spend a lot more on media. GFO usually needs to be changed out about once a month where carbon should be changed out every week but as said above it is totally doable. You want your GFO at the bottom and carbon at the top.

BRS has a nice solution for this that I got from them but it would be a problem with your space limitation.

A_Lee said:
As for which should come first, I don't see why it would matter :)
seminolecpa said:
GFO usually needs to be changed out about once a month where carbon should be changed out every week
That's what I was wondering about, which one would have to be changed out more and how could I separate them. I have also seen/heard somewhere there should be a gentle tumble of the media on the top and I am curious how I would pull that off with two different mediums in the tube... Hmmmm...

A_Lee said:
If space is an issue, is it all possible to run the reactors outside of your stand, or where ever your sump is? Then you can use multiple reactors, and maybe even hook them all up together, like the Viaqua Poly-Reactors :D
Space is a big issue at this time. My sump takes up most of the space under my tank and my electrical equipment takes up the rest. I was looking at the Viaqua Poly-Reactors because of the Plug-N-Play ability and I think size wise, it should fit as well, at least one. I have approximately an 8" X 6" area to fit this in. :~

The BRS reactor looks nice, but yes I do not have enough room for it. :(

Do you think the PhosBan brand would fit two in my 8" X 6" area?

I have to get me a BRS those look bullet proof and price is unbeatable for a double chamber reactor compared to TLF
They did a great job with them

If you're using the TLF Phosban Reactor - hang or place the reactor inside the sump (this is assuming you have room inside the sump.

I 2nd the BRF rectors, I've seen them mounted above the sump and probably could be mounted on the outside of the stand if needed and not too visible.

The main reason for the gentle tumble of the GFO is that you don't want to excessivly agitate it lest it start to break up. that said I know of plenty of people (myself included) that do or have at one point have rund both GFO and carbon in one TLF Phosban reactor.

I did for a while then switched to 2 of them to seperate the media, and now finally using the BRS one which makes changing out the media a breeze.

seminolecpa said:
The disadvantage is that you will spend a lot more on media. GFO usually needs to be changed out about once a month where carbon should be changed out every week but as said above it is totally doable. You want your GFO at the bottom and carbon at the top.

BRS has a nice solution for this that I got from them but it would be a problem with your space limitation.

The type of carbon (size, shape, etc), nutrient bio-load, etc determines how fast one should change carbon and with out knowing any of those how can you even attempt to toss such a number out there? Besides that seems extremely excessive to me. Over the years I've found my carbon usually lasts a few weeks in my systems.

GFO should have much less water pushed through it then carbon as the harder the boiling action, the more gets ground up and spit out along with the return water. Those particles tend to be hard on corals and other animals.

Ok, so now that I have really checked out the BRF media reactor, I want it. Mounting it inside my stand will not work. It is 13 inches high and there is only 11 inches between the sump and top of stand. How flexible might the 1/2 inch tubing that it comes with be? I could possibly place it next to my ATO container that is next to my stand in a plastic tote and just run the tubing into my sump. Just not certain how well the tubing bends around corners without kinking. I could get an elbow too, but just trying to keep in mind that elbow's restrict flow.

How do you know when to change the carbon? Do you just assume when to change it? My tank is not heavy in corals yet (two GBTA's, star ployps, pulsing zena and some zoo's. I have 7 fish in it. It is a net volume of 59 gallons accounting for the sand and live rock displacement.

I'm in the same boat as you and would like to get the dual BRS reactor but space is limited for me as well. They also sell single reactors (they have a new deluxe version as well) and I was told by BRS that you could run both medias in it as well. Not sure about changing it out like the other guys mentioned. But I'm trying to decide what to do as well...tagging along!

Hey Bryan, let me know if Tony doesn't take it. I'm interested but want to figure out how to do the media changes if carbon needs to be changed out more frequently then GFO.

No problem Tony. Thanks for letting me know. And please let me know how it works out for you. I'm very interested in one as well so I'd like to hear about your experiences with it. Ease of use, changing out media if you're going to be running GFO and carbon together in one unit, etc.

Back