Our mission

Mesh Mod is Amazing!!

Dyngoe

Supporting Member
Let me start by saying I have no way to quantify my analysis of the mesh mod. I don't have an air meter or a TDS meter.

That said, from my evaluation, my Mesh Mod on my CS100 is amazing! What I can tell is my skimate is much darker and I had to fully open my gate mod or the collection cup would overflow. Before I had it at least 40% closed. This tells me that with a lower internal water height I am getting at least the same amount of skimate. But, as I said this skimate is MUCH darker than before. The only way this could happen is if I am getting more air in my water. I highly suggest anyone with a RS/CS 80+ does this mod.

I can't wait until my uniseal comes in and I complete the recirc on this skimmer.

I got a piece of PF4 for my mesh. I tried mixing PF4 and rain gutter, but found that the rain gutter guard was just a hassle. I think I have 4 layers of PF4 zip tied to my impeller.

Thales, I have heard that some don't see the benefit ro simply don't like it. I was worried at first when I had no skimmate production. Now, three weeks later I wish I had done it sooner. So easy and definitely an improvement on my needle wheel.

I've also heard these work even better when dedicated in a recirc setup. I'll snap some photos when I take it apart for that.

Fwiw, I have two sheets of the mesh that Mavgi sells that's just sitting here if anyone is interested.

It could easily make four or five mesh mods.

[quote author=Raddogz link=topic=2218.msg22088#msg22088 date=1184990349]
Fwiw, I have two sheets of the mesh that Mavgi sells that's just sitting here if anyone is interested.

It could easily make four or five mesh mods.
[/quote]

I'll buy one from you, I have a GenX pump I want to try it on.

Hi Phong, I'll buy a sheet from you. Btw, do I need to cut the needlewheel on the pump or can I just add this to the needlewheel? I hate to do destructive things.

You have to cut all the pins on the wheel. .. You can't really go back after that ;D. It's better if you buy one extra impeller incase something goes wrong :p..

Thanks Phong for the info. Do you think I need to buy another needlewheel impeller or the regular impeller will do? If I have to buy a needlewheel impeller, do I need to buy an Euroreef one (for ER SP3 pump) or a ASM impeller will do? The Euroreef one is $55 + shipping ;(.

After doing mine, I was worried about it's performance. I broke my ceramic shaft in my impeller. So, I was looking at new shafts and new pumps. What I found is you can buy a better Ocean Runner or Eheim pump for just a little more than a new impeller for a sedra pump. If you're worried, I might have one of those available. But, I wouldn't worry.

Also, you can mod a standard impeller. You don't need to start with a needle-wheel impeller. There are articles on RC about this.

I don't worry about broken impellers much myself, regardless of the pump.. sure I drop a few Fbombs when I do break them, but the impeller still spins just fine

Back