Our mission

Meshmez's IM EXT 112

So it's been a while since I updated.

Tank got hit pretty hard with ostreopsis dinoflagellates in November.
20221127_195940.jpg

Hit it with uv and sediment filter and eventually turned the corner.
20221201_212357.jpg

Dino did some damage to the corals, lost a few, the rest weren't looking good.

Continued to see stn on sps and tissue receding on lps. Ended up losing most of my coral over the next couple months. I believe it was some kind of bacterial infection. Seemed like BJD like issues with the lps. Moved what was left of my coralexcept for some softies, to a temporary tank and started Cipro treatments at the dosage the aquabiomics people have seen to treat BJD. Corals started looking better within a few days. Finished the treatment, and treated the DT as well.
20230211_140516.jpg

Added aquabiomics live rock rubble to hopefully add a better balance of bacteria.
Just moved what was left of my coral back into the DT a few days ago. Things seem to be looking ok so far, so fingers crossed. Lost a lot of coral through that.

20230220_211609.jpg

Throughout this time I have been gradually adding fish. Current stocking is now:
Yellow tang, Kole tang, purple Firefish, starry goby, melanarus wrasse, Moyer's Leopard Wrasse, blue star leopard wrasse, fathead anthias, bellus angel.

Switch a bio block with Randy for good measure. Good luck. Hope corals start thriving for you
I just worry about the possiblity of transferring ich...

Feel free to buy some Maxspect Bio-Blocks and I’m happy to swap 1 or 2 of them with mine. If you’re worried about ich, I understand. I definitely can’t guarantee no ich, but what I can say to you is that half of the fish are 6 years old (before I started QTing) and the other half had been through 30-days of copper treatment. I haven’t seen ich in six years in any of these fish so far.

Feel free to buy some Maxspect Bio-Blocks and I’m happy to swap 1 or 2 of them with mine. If you’re worried about ich, I understand. I definitely can’t guarantee no ich, but what I can say to you is that half of the fish are 6 years old (before I started QTing) and the other half had been through 30-days of copper treatment. I haven’t seen ich in six years in any of these fish so far.

I know, and I mean no offense, it's just hard after spending so much time to qt fish. Seems reckless.
Then again I have put snails directly in... And that's not a whole lot better. Even though they are supposedly from a fishless system...

I know, and I mean no offense, it's just hard after spending so much time to qt fish. Seems reckless.
Then again I have put snails directly in... And that's not a whole lot better. Even though they are supposedly from a fishless system...
Not to be Mr. Paranoia, but based on your statement it sounds like you bought snails from a well known online clean up crew site. They do not quarantine. They get stuff from their collectors and toss it into a system that's fishless. At least that's my recollection from reading up on them.

I bought from them, and right after my tank got ich. Luckily it was my isolation tank. Big pita to have to treat everything in there.

I too would not trust most places or most reefers. I think trusting any place that doesn't fully quarantine isn't much better then trusting a trusted tank.

Not to be Mr. Paranoia, but based on your statement it sounds like you bought snails from a well known online clean up crew site. They do not quarantine. They get stuff from their collectors and toss it into a system that's fishless. At least that's my recollection from reading up on them.

I bought from them, and right after my tank got ich. Luckily it was my isolation tank. Big pita to have to treat everything in there.

I too would not trust most places or most reefers. I think trusting any place that doesn't fully quarantine isn't much better then trusting a trusted tank.
I understand you're trying not to name names, but in this case you probably should. I assume you're talking about reef cleaners? I bought from saltwateraquarium.com though I wouldn't be surprised if they also wild collect and house in fishless system.

Back