got ethical husbandry?

Michael's 168 build

Congrats on the win! Best of luck on your new adventures!
Really enjoyed your tank building progress over the years with all the tips! Looking forward to reading about the Vegas build woot!
Best
Paul

The only rule on the new tank is I can't screw up the symmetry of the next room over, so I need to figure out if I want the tank in the wall built in (which would likely then be 6 feet), or if it sits on the other side of the wall like my current build, but then occupies more room in the office. That tank could be 7 feet long, but 6 inches less wide. Time to play with carboard boxes. :)

@H2OPlayar
Why are you limited to 24” height?
I like at least 27”
With a 3” sandbed, ya get 24” of swimming space

My current reef went from 20” to 24”
IMHO it’s not tall enough
Also have one that’s 30” tall
Fish seem to be happier swimming over the corals

Last edited:
@H2OPlayar
Why are you limited to 24” height?
I like at least 27”
With a 3” sandbed, ya get 24” of swimming space

My current reef went from 20” to 24”
IMHO it’s not tall enough
Also have one that’s 30” tall
Fish seem to be happier swimming over the corals
I was debating height as well, 27"-30" might be a good height too. I have pretty long arms and long tweezers. What height would you go? There is as much room to go basically as tall as wanted.

28-31 for height. Keep in mind if your only going to be able to access from one side the diagonal to the other side bottom and how hard it will be to do certain things with the angle created by rockwork

28-31 for height. Keep in mind if your only going to be able to access from one side the diagonal to the other side bottom and how hard it will be to do certain things with the angle created by rockwork
Yeah, I was thinking 30" because of reaching only the 1 side. If it sat in the wall and were thicker though, we could make it look like a built in furniture piece and then have cabinets from the top on the other side. But I still agree, 30" is pretty tall even with my long arms.

7’x30”x30” for the win! Lol
I need to see how much of the office that takes away. Here is where we are thinking of it going in staged photos. We can't extend to the right too far as that is where the entrance to the office is. Carpet is being replaced with vinyl laminate. Concrete slab underneath so not too worried about weight. The opening is 8 feet wide right now, but we need a foot of space for office entrance, so that is where it is either 7 feet long, with a 6 foot cutout in the wall, or a built in unit in the wall that is 6 feet but gets to be wider since it will be in the wall.

2488887_11_3.jpg

2488887_7_4.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats on the new place! Is the taqueria going to get a lot of the animals?
Thank you. Their tank is full, so I am getting corals sold/given away first, then fish to the community. No idea why, but I have had 5-10 people ask about the anthias. I need to figure out a fair way to figure out who gets them, Maybe biggest tank that is most empty, and can take the most fish.

@H2OPlayar If you are familiar with CAD you could simulate which one is likely to break/leak?
Neither would break or leak if made properly and supported with a good stand. I am leaning towards a custom crystal dynamics tank like the last one I have. The euro brace and reinforced seams have held up really well.

Back