Our mission

Micro bubbles

I'd always read about micro bubbles before I had a skimmer and wondered what the big deal was but now that I'm running a skimmer (Aquamaxx HOB-1) I see what a nuisance they are. Is there any way to get rid of these?
image.jpegimage.jpeg

The manufacturer said they would go away with time but they don't seem to be diminishing at all. It's been running about 6 weeks at this point.

Don't use a sponge on the output for this skimmer. I tried it before and it got clogged. Is the skimmer new?
I remember when I first had this skimmer, it took a long time for it to break in. Even then it still had microbubbles. Just less.
There's nothing you can really do about this since you have no back compartment like AIO cubes.

The best way I found out by trial and error is to remove the 90° bend and to have the output going back into the tank at an angle

I'm wondering if you were to put another 90 on there, and make it drain toward the surface if the bubbles would stay on the surface and pop on their own? Never tried it, but it's something I would try. ;)

Most HOB skimmers have a box that has an intake and outlet.......these generally have a sponge in them to help with the bubbles. Good luck, the rock work looks nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is it new? If yes, give it 2-3 weeks to break in (or give it a vinegar bath).

You can get a sponge for the outflow or even wrap the outflow with a fine mesh media bag. Also try a DIY micro bubble silencer like the BH-100 (image below).

Screen Shot 2016-01-01 at 9.52.08 AM.png

Need to find a way to get rid of the bubbles before they make their way back into the tank.

I have an in sump skimmer reef octopus nwb150.

I even built this fancy bubble trap using glass segments in my sump but I have no real microbubbles in my sump. They dont even collect in the bubble trap so I assume my skimmer has been broken in ergo no microbubbles.

My only thought is to try to fit a 90 degree PVC fitting to the output to see if it'll help minimize bubbles.
Yeah, tried that. It created a suction issue and didn't help with the micro bubbles. I see there is a plastic insert that separates the bubble making side from the output side but it doesn't completely cover. I think I'll try adding a piece of foam in the opening between the two compartments and see if that does anything.

Back