Our mission

mini in tank frag rack

Just thought I'd share a little something.. Seeing as I have an account now and I haven't contributed much to the club for a while.

Problem: You ever scratch your head thinking, where the heck am I going to put this frag in my tank? Or wasn't there ever a time where you fragged something for someone, mounted it on a rock, but had no place to hold it.. Especially after a frag swap, I come home with frags with only no place to put anything. So I have to limit my picks.. And you don't really want to build a seperate system just to grow out frags. The lighting, cooling, and electricity will just kill you. I know I'm too cheap to sport such a large system. So the solution is to put the frags in the main tank on a rack that is easily removable, cheap , does impede flow too much, easy to clean, and is not a magnet for algae.

My DIY project is a magnetically mounted frag rack!

Pictures speak a thousand words so here goes. The cost:

PC11 = $20? There are smaller versions for $10.
Tunze magnet TZ3113 = $26.84 from marine depot
piece of acrylic from tap plastic $5 from scrap bin

tools:
Bandsaw
drill press
deburring tool if available or else a file
1/2 drill bit
3/8 drill bit

Cut the holes at a slow to medium rpm. push through gently for smooth holes. Mix the PC11 using a 1-1 ratio. You have a 30 minute window to apply so take your time. Once you've assembled like in the picture put in oven at 100 degree for 1 hr. Most ovens can't regulate that low so just preheat until oven temp goes to 120 F then turn it off.. Should take only 5 min or less. Put the assembled piece in oven and wait.

After 1 hr remove and you should be able to put it in your tank for immediate use. I just built this after dinner after the frag swap. PC11 will take 24 hrs- 48hours to cure. But it will cure underwater.

frag-rack00.JPG

frag-rack01.JPG

frag-rack02.JPG

frag-rack03.JPG

frag-rack04.JPG

frag-rack05.JPG

frag-rack06.JPG

nice... but this one is cheaper and you don't have to spend the time to make it.. ;)
http://frag-a-rack.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=9&osCsid=ad15eedb1dce1d17f0e400e6df7b5b41

Ah IC.. I tried to drill acrylic before but didn't work out too well because I didn't have the right bit..

look like you picked up some really nice pieces there too..

Re drilling acrylic and similar materials... even brass...

You need to have a lot less rake on the cutting edge so you get more of a scraping action than shearing. With too much rake the acrylic can crack or shatter when the bit starts to break through to the other side.

You can buy special bits, but it's really easy to modify a standard bit with a whet stone or a diamond stone. Even a diamond wheel from your Dremel will work.

Just flatten the cutting edges of the 2 flutes on your drill bit. You can go for zero rake by honing parallel to the drill bit axis. A few degrees of rake is fine too, and that's usually what I go for.

Here's a pic to give you an idea.

acrylicdrill.jpg

Looks good Andy, having stuff on hand regardless of what it costs, is always more cost effective than buying something newer and cheaper than the total original cost of your components :D

That being said here's my in tank frag rack... was an Idaho Grape that for whatever reason has started to get diatoms on it, I think over time other corals may have just affected the flow to the point that the ridges became a diatom magnet or something, because the other IG colony I have is fine in the tank. That being said, to me this is more shelf space for corals :D

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/P8160265.JPG

Back