Jestersix

Molly as QT

newfly

Supporting Member
Bought a few anthias (on the way). Heard its one of the hardest fish to QT. I'm interested to try the Molly OT method (ie use Molly as the canary).

I'm not interested in keeping the molly in the main display ( aggressive tank mates + very high flow). If i go this route, i want to check if anyone interested in FREE molly(fully converted to salt)?

Acclimating a Molly to saltwater and keeping it alive is a lot harder than other sites make it out to be. Reasonable idea, but I've never had much success. Especially if you have any reef levels of current.

Not to discourage you, but it's not an easy option either.

I almost picked up some half off petco anthias. My plan was to do the hybrid tank transfer plus prazipro.

Acclimating a Molly to saltwater and keeping it alive is a lot harder than other sites make it out to be. Reasonable idea, but I've never had much success. Especially if you have any reef levels of current.

Not to discourage you, but it's not an easy option either.

I almost picked up some half off petco anthias. My plan was to do the hybrid tank transfer plus prazipro.
Yeah hybrid tank transfer is what I am thinking about as well with metro (vs prazipro if I’m not doing molly. Molly is just additional insurance.

I did pickup the Anthias from petco. They have not shipped yet, so still have time to think about my qt options.

Molly is intended just for the QT tank and not the main display with high flow. I agree they won’t do well in the display.

I’m not ready to keep the Molly long term even if i successfully covert to salt water and pass the qt, therefore this thread.

I’m probably give up the idea . Disposing the fish alive is not an option.

In my experience, the plain mollies are easier to acclimate than colorful lyretails. For my black mollies, I just reg acclimate 30 min and toss them in 180 high flow no issues. Lived for about 4 years.

My colorful ones, I bought 5 and over 1 week acclimated them slowly to saltwater in a separate tank with bubbler. Started with 5 ended with 3.

Males tend to be very aggressive so beware. I had 1 male, 2 females and he chased them to until they passed. Then chased my neon goby till it jumped

That’s encouraging. I plan to get 1 at most. I have an aggressive tank mates ( damsel, clowns and purple tang + lyretail anthias on the way) I don’t know about the anthias but I’m certainly not worried about the Molly picking on the others . Good to hear they can survive in high flow tank.

I recently got done putting two Bimac Anthias through QT. They did just fine with copper at 2.5ppm along with the recommended dose of Metroplex every two days. I had 7 chromis with them who did not do as well---three died the first night and another the second night (confirmed Uronema case for that one).

Last edited:
I'm well aware of the theory. IME it doesn't hold much water.
To expand on this. When I worked in wholesale, I left mollies in a specimen container (saltwater) for two weeks on accident. Anthias would have died in a few hours.

Anthias as extreme wimps. I could turn lights on at night in the facility, and I would have a few dead anthias nearly every time. You can have mollies in a night club setting and they'd be just fine lol

To expand on this. When I worked in wholesale, I left mollies in a specimen container (saltwater) for two weeks on accident. Anthias would have died in a few hours.

Anthias as extreme wimps. I could turn lights on at night in the facility, and I would have a few dead anthias nearly every time. You can have mollies in a night club setting and they'd be just fine lol
LOL

Back