Our mission

Monti eating nudi's.....

Not sure why I keep looking at this thread... Completely freaks me out. Maybe it's to remind myself of why I QT and dip... :tired:

mediumrare said:
What kind of wrass?

Most of the Halichoeres species usually do rather well. Pseudocheilinus hexataenia aka Sixline wrasse are effective, but can be little jerks in the long run. Of course fairy wrasses and flasher wrasses wouldn't help as much with them being a planktonic feeder and all. Look for wrasses that like to poke around to get food, not feed in the water column.

bondolo said:
I did iodine and revive dipping every 7 days for close to two months. This, by itself, was unsuccessful as I always missed some eggs or juvis/adults.
To break the cycle I had to get help from a canary wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus) but a green wrasse (Halichoeres chloropterus
bondolo said:
) also works. Gresham suggested a Melanurus wrasse at the time and I have no reason to doubt that it wouldn't work as well.

FWIW I am Gresham, the one that recommended the Halichoeres melanurus
to Mike.

mediumrare said:
Here's my experience with them.

I had them on two of my monti's. per my local LFS's advice (Aquaexotic) i was told to dip ALL my Monti's in Coral-RX with agitation to get the nudi's off, and repeat this every 4-5 days untill gone. I can confirm that the gestatino cycle is ~3-4 days and the idea is to kill the bugs before the mature to lay eggs. my last dip i found a buch of TINY nudi's and no mature ones, and its been more than a week since then and no nudis as apposed to before when they'd show up on day 4. And they can easily spread form coral to coral.

I had to break my monti cap plates to dip the. It's a pain in the ass, but those F##@rs can cover a lot of grownd. Another guy at my LFS said that some wrass's will eat the nudis, but this is not confirmed. the dipping works 100%, but ya gotta dip every few days to kill newly hatched bugs.

Appologies for the poor grammar and punctuation!

Thanks! I appreciate the info. I wasn't really on a dipping schedule, but now I will be. ;)

BAYMAC said:
mediumrare said:
What kind of wrass?

Most of the Halichoeres species usually do rather well. Pseudocheilinus hexataenia aka Sixline wrasse are effective, but can be little jerks in the long run. Of course fairy wrasses and flasher wrasses wouldn't help as much with them being a planktonic feeder and all. Look for wrasses that like to poke around to get food, not feed in the water column.

bondolo said:
I did iodine and revive dipping every 7 days for close to two months. This, by itself, was unsuccessful as I always missed some eggs or juvis/adults.
To break the cycle I had to get help from a canary wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus) but a green wrasse (Halichoeres chloropterus
bondolo said:
) also works. Gresham suggested a Melanurus wrasse at the time and I have no reason to doubt that it wouldn't work as well.

FWIW I am Gresham, the one that recommended the Halichoeres melanurus
to Mike.

Thanks Gresham, I have a beautiful Melanurus that has been in the tank a couple weeks now..........what a cool fish. CONSTANTLY cruising and checking out the coral! It is already fat.........seems to like the tiny brittle stars in the rock. The only Nudi's I have seen since discovering them are in the frag tank on the big green monti, so I haven't witnessed it feeding on them. However I'm pretty good with that. LOL! I would rather just not have them in the tank at all. ;)

iCon said:
Not sure why I keep looking at this thread... Completely freaks me out. Maybe it's to remind myself of why I QT and dip... :tired:

Ha! I've been working on an ambulance for 20 years. Bugs just don't bother me anymore. :p I was thinking of giving examples, but decided I wanted you all to still speak to me. Ha!

Kmooresf said:
iCon said:

Ha! I've been working on an ambulance for 20 years. Bugs just don't bother me anymore. :p I was thinking of giving examples, but decided I wanted you all to still speak to me. Ha!

Lol. One of the worst I heard was of a guy with long hair. He worked for some sort of shredding company. Hair into shredder = scalped. Everything pulled back from eyebrows back. Face was 'dangling'. That's from another friend who's been in ER for about 25 years. Gotta hand it to you guys...

Good for you! Tough job sometimes. Are you a paramedic?
I may need some of those Monti eating nudi's. sunset Monti is taking over! Lol

JAR said:
Good for you! Tough job sometimes. Are you a paramedic?
I may need some of those Monti eating nudi's. sunset Monti is taking over! Lol

No problem, I can bag some up for ya! :O

Yup, a medic. Hopefully retire as one if my back holds out. Yoga has helped a LOT!

Back