Our mission

Ms. Manners Advice - Rebates and Gifts

sid700

Supporting Member
Is it considered bad form if I give a gift that has the UPC code cut out? I need it for the rebate.

I for one won't mind. I'm still getting a nice gift. If it were not for the rebate, I'd probably get a less desirable gift. Thoughts?

'Bad form' ? Leaves a bad impression IMO. Whether it's ok or not depends on who the gift is going to :)

gf/fiance/boss/client - maybe not..Family - Sure thing!

Personly I think it is ok. You bought the gift with a set price in mind which happens to incluse a rebate. The only problem that I can see is that with the UPC label missing them might not be able to return the item of an exchange if needed.

If possible, take the gift out of the box, and completely re-wrap it - fancy like.
Makes it even more personal, and then they will never know.

rygh said:
If possible, take the gift out of the box, and completely re-wrap it - fancy like.
Makes it even more personal, and then they will never know.

same idea, imo not bad i would do it as well....

i actually just did that i bought my friend a set of 3d glasses of ebay for his new 3d tv and i kept the 2 3d dvds in the box and gave him the new glasses in two old sunglass cases i had,LOL

Kind of a hard call, because if that person needs to return the gift i.e. doesn't work, doesn't fit, etc then they'll have issues because of that.

However if it is a gift that is "non-returnable" i.e. something like a figurine where "You don't get to return it because you hate it" then absolutely remove the product and rewrap it and you keep the box.

Kind of hard to say what you should do without knowing the type of gift it is. "here's a 5-pack of beer!" :D

This gift is for our white elephant give exchange (for adults only - meaning 18 or above. Not the other meaning). So distant relatives may participate as well as in-laws, college-age nieces and nephews, BFs and GFs.

@Mike -the gift is going to be a notebook or video camera (ie flip) or something electronic as long as it's within budget and it fits in a carry-on bag.

I'm going to do it. If BFs or GFs complain, then they are blacklisted from the family.

sid700 said:
This gift is for our white elephant give exchange (for adults only - meaning 18 or above. Not the other meaning). So distant relatives may participate as well as in-laws, college-age nieces and nephews, BFs and GFs.

@Mike -the gift is going to be a notebook or video camera (ie flip) or something electronic as long as it's within budget and it fits in a carry-on bag.

I'm going to do it. If BFs or GFs complain, then they are blacklisted from the family.

White elephant...Perfectly ok :)

Back