got ethical husbandry?

My First Crash, Help

I know it happenens to everyone but man its rough. >:(

I came home to find all my SPS dead, my lps are really stressed and everything is closed up tight. I was using wire screen to cover my new frag tank during the light acclemation. The lower screen was in contact with the water. I think the dog must have bumped it, or I wasn't paying attention.

The only thing I can think of to do is massive water change's and large amounts of carbon. I'm hoping for the best but it looks like atleast 2/3 will be gone. Does anyone know of anything else that might help?

Sorry to hear about that.You should frag all of the corals you can to remove the dead parts. PM me when your ready again and come over and pickup some more frags.

The last time this happened to me I did a 50% watter change and followed with 20% changes each day for 2 days. Most SPS died, but all but one LPS came back.

Consider taking favorites to a friend with a well established healthy tank.

Where are you located?

C

It's not stainless steel that's for sure.

I have used the black/dk. brown more plastic feeling probably more vinyl before but the mh was too close and started to melt the screen material causing it to smoke.

I just go with shorter light durations these days.

Ugh... bummer.

Carbon, big water changes - yep. Are people using Polyfilter for metal contaminants? I thought it's supposed to help. But I ran across some mention about it not removing stuff.

Thanks for everyone's support, it means a lot. I have been changing lots of water, I still have my fingers crossed. My large plate coral started to open, same with my Christmas Favia. I'm just glade it won't be a total loss.

I think it's Zinc, the part that was in contact with the water turned white. Does anyone know if it stays in the tank like copper? Thanks again
Tim

Probably all leveled out by now, but it would be good to check pH.

Zinc corroding in saltwater would oxidize other stuff. Probably all kinds of stuff going on, but I'd guess that you'd create hydroxide and get a pH increase.

Yes, the zinc ions will tend to stay in the water. You'd have to dilute with water changes. Possibly wetskim to get it out along with organics, but I think I read that zinc doesn't attach to organics as much as other metals do. Also, kalk drip probably helps precipitate zinc.

That sucks, something like that happened to me recently. Probably about a month ago. Norman knows all about it. I had an autofeeder sitting on the screen netting on my tank (not were it normally is) the batteries were touching the water. The batteries actually leaked into the tank. Luckily only one sps died and all LPS looked fine. However, tons of my SPS bleached. I did 2 20% water changes and added a ton of carbon. Things actually look a lot better in my tank now, colors are all comming back. You may want to look into the polyfilter like Norman said, but it sounds like you are doing all that you can right now. Hopefully things get better.

I looked at my tank today, and finally felt like its starting to come back. Thanks for everyone's help. I just thought I would post some pics.

P1010198.jpg

P1010197.jpg

Back