Reef nutrition

My Garage build out

I figured this was the best place to start a thread showing everyone the current state of my garage buildout. I am coming off of a 2 year break from the hobby/industry and wanted to do everything correct from the start this time. I had some space and decided to dedicate it all to aquariums!

First things first is quality water! I got a Vertex puratek 200gpd RO/DI unit and it has worked well so far; aside form the inline TDS not functioning at all, bummer.

For storage, i wanted to go BIG! I got two 105g vertical storage tanks from Norwesco. I drove about 10 hours round trip to pick them up for a total of around $450 if I remember correctly. I have a mag7 in the RO container that will pump directly into the salt and a mag7 in the salt container for mixing. I can show detailed plumbing if anyone is interested. Both also have ball valves plumbed into the base for gravity feeding 5 gal water jugs/buckets.

Now onto the tanks... I have been scouring CL for deals on used tanks. I work at a climbing gym and do not exactly have an excess of money. First two purchases were dry, and have since been aquascaped, plumbed and just finished cycling. You can see pictures of them in the album below. A cube is sitting next to my 180g. The other is a 90 deep and is being kept upstairs. I live with my grandma and wanted to give her a tank to enjoy all day, and so far she has loved looking at potential livestock choices and seeing the lights! Both still have no livestock but are cycled and ready to go. Also, a small quarantine that is about to see off its first two guests! They will be heading upstairs to give my grandma's tank some life!

Most recently, I bought a 180g beauty from a guy in north bay as a complete system. Really nice fella who took care of his fish and it shows. The tank is still settling from the mayhem of moving but is doing well. Battling some latent ammonia and nitrate, but within a month it should be stable. I added some fresh rock-work you can see shining on the left.

I cannot figure out how to add pictures in the actual post, 'upload a file' doesn't work and It wouldn't let me add an image from an external hosting site... so here is a link to pictures :)

https://ibb.co/album/i1A2wF

Thanks for looking and I'll keep updates and more posts coming.

That looks like "you need to change out your filters and resin" brown :D

Oh and BTW, literally EVERYTHING that can rust will rust in that garage due to the humidity from the tank.
Vent your garage, make sure you keep a dehumidifier in there or all your tools and bike chains are going to be rusted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

looks good, wish i had space for that big of a tank. i noticed you had a monster in the pic. if you ever wanna go ride let me know im always down to ride round to lfs. or to alices and talk DIY tank solutions

Vent your garage, make sure you keep a dehumidifier in there or all your tools and bike chains are going to be rusted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dont forget your knee and shoulder pads when you go biking. Oh and your helmet too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back