High Tide Aquatics

My "Lazy Reefer" tank

Only the pistol and the tunzes move the sand around. There's some nass snails in there too I guess. I've never been a big fan of sand sifting creatures, always seemed to be more trouble than they're worth. Got any suggestions for really interesting ones?

Eh, other than Nass snails and diamond gobies, not really. They get big too, so eh. Will @ LGF keeps telling me twinspot gobies and/or hector/rainford's gobies will sift as well, but I'm definitely not willing to sacrifice one of the later. WWM says to keep the twinspots in pairs if they come in like that so....maybe a new pair for your tank? I might look into it after I move.

Ya, twinspots and diamonds get big n mean. meh. Have had rainsfords before, and they're awesooome to keep in groups. They're too small to make much of an impact as "sand sifters" and seem to do better in established (i.e. dirty, with too many bugs and some nuisance algae) tanks.

Ha, you're right: http://www.fishbase.org/summary/speciessummary.php?id=7245

Guess I was gettin em mixed up with some other brown sand-sifting goby :)

I don't know if I've had horrid water conditions or what, but everyone I've tried has shrunken down to a little guy when I used them (it's been a few years mind you), however the one that looks like someone pooped in the tank would do absolutely fine and was quite fascinating to watch picking through all the sand and pooping it out the back.

hmm, ok back on track... PHOTOS! Yes I know my tank isn't perfect, there's cyano, valonia, etc... BUT! FREE WALLPAPER... can't look a gift horse in the mouth, eh?

bigger sizes available: http://robotninjapirate.com/v/Aquarium/2010+Jan/

If you've got dialup... well, you're gonna have a rough morning.

IMG_0310.jpg

IMG_0364.jpg

IMG_0348.jpg

IMG_0369-Edit.jpg

IMG_0380-Edit.jpg

IMG_0384-Edit.jpg

IMG_0432-Edit.jpg

IMG_0481-Edit.jpg

IMG_0515-Edit.jpg

IMG_0527-Edit.jpg

IMG_0347.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg

Beautiful tank. I love the zoo garden. :)

If you really want to go 'lazy reefer', then you should consider investing in a Spectrapure Litermeter 3 for automated water changes. It makes all the difference in the world for me.

Almost all the fish are in pairs! So cute! :bigsmile:
Is that the max size the puffers will get? What type are they and how did you get a pair?! :O

I've got a "pair" of tuxedo damsels that squabble quite a bit, so maybe not a real pair... and then the pair of highfin gobies. The puffers aren't a pair, there's a valentini puffer and a mimic filefish (that mimics the valentini puffer) - they get along pretty well really. They'll get maybe another inch bigger than they are at the moment. :)

Thank you Jess for the chalice and palys; I must say is a beautiful piece of ocean you have.
When lights came on did not take long for the bulb to be fully shining, what kind of bulb ballast are you running? I have the same reflector but most times when I visit and see peoples tanks, makes me want to change everything.

I'm running a blueline ballast and on Saturday, a 12k reeflux bulbs - they're way more white/pink than traditional bulbs. Just swapped out for some bluer bulbs on Sunday though, and I don't think the husband is gonna let me go back to the white ones. :-/

The gobies I got as three individuals, took em longer than usual, but they eventually made one disappear and now there's two. Tec at Blue Ocean Aquatics is pretty good about getting fish in if you ask.

Back