Cali Kid Corals

n00b question: "Invisible" Dosing with Nano Tank?

borker

Supporting Member
Hi all,

My alk is dropping precipitously, likely due to growth (https://bareefers.org/forum/threads/ryan’s-new-40g-setup-mixed-reef.26568/). My 40g all-in-one is in our kitchen. Most of the equipment hangs on the back (skimmer, reactor, media), so there's no visual 'spill' into our kitchen, a strong condition of us having the tank in the house in the first place (old one was in the garage).

My question - how do I dose 'invisibly'? There's really nowhere to put it. I suppose I could hang something close on the side, but I'm really looking for either a hang on back, or 'visually appealing' minimal dosing set-up.

Anyone have any experience with this and could point me to products that I could use that my wife wouldn't have to say 'oh yeah, that's just 2 bottles of dirty water for my husband's fish tank' hanging next to our microwave...?

Lots of people with small tanks hand-dose once or preferably twice a day.

Your only option I see for automated nearly invisible dosing would be to put the dosing pumps and reservoirs somewhere hidden and run dosing tubes from behind into the back sump part. They could be in a cabinet or a stand for example.

Could a dosing pump push the liquid up 5’ reliably? I have a stand but didn’t think they’d be that powerful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just did mine like this an ran the tubes to the back of the tank. You can find holders for the tubing on amazon for like a few bucks as well.

Attachments

• 39B767ED-9F69-4981-ACAF-15C31B61FB43.jpeg
    39B767ED-9F69-4981-ACAF-15C31B61FB43.jpeg
    87.4 KB · Views: 138
Dosing small tanks by hand is practically a rite of passage. However, it does get old, and that’s where automation comes in.
Raising the fluid 5’ is a non issue. I think 10’ to 15’ would also be a non issue, but around there I’d be inclined to start testing, especially if the pump was at the top of the loop and not the bottom.
When I had an apartment over a garage I put my air pumps in the garage on a shelf and ran the air line through the floor/ceiling under the dishwasher. That kept the (planted freshwater) fish tank foam filters running happily without having to listen to the pump.
Your creativity in line routing alone limits you here. Use small lines and put them in some cord wrap to further hide them.

OK awesome! Thanks for the pics

What dosing pump is that and any recs from the group?

I just did mine like this an ran the tubes to the back of the tank. You can find holders for the tubing on amazon for like a few bucks as well.

And what bottles / capacity do you use for the 2 part, etc?

I just redid my dosing for the tank in my living room so it would be less chaotic. I used some floating wall shelves to hold the doser and my khg then got simplicity dosing containers to hold my fluids instead of just using the bottles they came in.

I think it looks pretty good, a big upgrade from what it was. If you want to be invisible you could do the same but with clear dosing lines, and the doser closer to the tank.
before:
45881826-1150-4681-B0F1-1A1BE1074405.jpeg

After:
93868690-407C-4891-BB60-9DBB340A2650.jpeg

I just picked up one of these plastic tumblers at Michael's and I have high hopes it will work well as a dosing container. I like that the "straw" doesn't fall out and that the bottom is curved, which should allow all of the liquid to be consumed.

Reactions: JVU
I just picked up one of these plastic tumblers at Michael's and I have high hopes it will work well as a dosing container. I like that the "straw" doesn't fall out and that the bottom is curved, which should allow all of the liquid to be consumed.

Creative! Let us know if it works. I’m on the hunt for a good small volume vessel too, flatworm stop is just 1mL daily so I don’t need a large container.

Back