got ethical husbandry?

need help locating

it can be steel.... gonna build a light rack over the tanks also getting powdercoated so I'm not to worried about rust as much plus will be 3-4 feet off tanks

Reason I ask is I decided to go another route after planning on the same thing you are doing for years. I decided to save money and get 1" angle (aluminum) stock and rivet it together. This leaves a nice area to put reflectors onto.

You guys are rich and damn, talk about over kill. Its a light rack not a tank stand :lol:

I like lighter stuff over my tanks :)

GreshamH said:
Reason I ask is I decided to go another route after planning on the same thing you are doing for years. I decided to save money and get 1" angle (aluminum) stock and rivet it together. This leaves a nice area to put reflectors onto.
Did this over my flat...worked great and was cheap

Design Construction on Pacheco Blvd. (close to 3430 if you look it up on Google maps) in Martinez will have it. They can fab it to your specs as well. It certainly won't be inexpensive to have them fab though. You can also try Benicia Fab on Channel Rd. in Benicia but they might be wholesale only.

I'm planning the lights for my tank right now and building a wood canopy to house them in. I was planning on doing something similar to what GreshamH mentioned and using aluminum angle stock and riveting together to give myself 2"-3" space between the top of the canopy and the reflectors for my wiring and connectors.

~Charlie

Coral reefer said:
GreshamH said:
Did this over my flat...worked great and was cheap

+3. This is what I did for my reflectors also. I'd figure steel would be heavy and rust without paint. No need to paint with aluminum. :)

Gomer said:
Well, the cost of a frame + welding + powder coating aint cheap :-D
The material I suspect will be his only cost knowing Jess and all his car hook ups. Pretty sure he does powder coating himself and I would not doubt he can either weld or has a bro that can.

doesnt home depot carry some of the tubing?
and i believe welding steel and aluminum together can be hard since its two different metals...

Steel is so super cheap and if you have the hookups...
1.5 or 2" is pretty big I bet you could do 1"x1/2" rectangular and be stoked. I have a MIG if you are interested. I'm a shitty welder, but getting better.

muhli said:
doesnt home depot carry some of the tubing?
and i believe welding steel and aluminum together can be hard since its two different metals...
No one is recommending welding steel and aluminum together here... you can't weld the two together using a welding device, but you can fuse them together with major friction from what I have been told.

Yes, HD stocks what I am talking about (alum angle stock) and welding it is a bit over kill :) A simple rivet with it is totally fine.

gresh how do you recommend I attach it to the steel stand I was planing on welding the c shape tu e steel stand to my tube steel tank stand... will the aluminum hold itself up from stand 30-40" then across tank 8 feet.... not familiar with material yet haven't had time to go to store I WAs drunk all weekend at lagunitas brewery

Back