High Tide Aquatics

NEED HELP SETTING UP FISH TANK!!!!

Just Joined BAR, Just Bought a Saltwater Fishtank, and it came with all the Equiptment and I REALLY REALLY want to learn Everthing. This is a new Hobbie im picking up so i want learn as much as possible, if anyone has time to help me setup that would be great.

Thank you

CrackRaider

3022936498_6288434057.jpg

MYFISHTANK.jpg

IMG_1633.jpg

IMG_1630.jpg

IMG_1631.jpg

IMG_1632.jpg

Welcome to the club. I figured out how to get started from books mostly an suggest doing the same. There is a lot to learn and a couple of different ways to start up a tank. You'll have to figure out what your goal is, like what you want to have in your tank.

Welcome, what tank did you purchase? Where are you located? I started by reading everything in the newbie area of Reefcentral. The best piece of advice I can give is, slow down and think about your setup. I rushed my first tank and it turned into a maintance nightmare.

Welcome to BAR.. Lets us know what you need help and we will try to do our best to help you out.

* I think this should be in Reef Talk not here...

Hey guys thanks for the warm welcome! I purchased this 120gal Plexiglas tank complete with items above. I am located in Dublin and basically need some tips on how to put it all back together lol... obviously it no longer looks like the pics above, just a room full of stuff lol... ideally I would like to start first by getting this tank up and running properly before even putting anything in. I love the look of exotic corals and exotic fish such as sharks and sting rays. I do not know if I will be able to incorporate all of that in to this tank, but again it is just and idea. If any any one can suggest on how to "put humpty dumpty back together again" haha it would be GREAT!! I have considered hiring someone but if this is pretty simple it would be a great way to learn.

Thanks,

Crack Raider

ps Elite...sorry I am new to this, thanks for the heads up.

[quote author=dswong01 link=topic=5579.msg69812#msg69812 date=1229409683]
Crack Raider
What type of corals are planning to keep in the tank? anenomes, softies,LPS or sps? Do you have live rock?
[/quote]
I think the first question still needs to be answered. You did not get the rocks and everything in the tank I take it?
It really needs to be thought about since how you set it up can vary greatly depending upon the types of corals. However if you'd like a suggestion, since you're so new to the hobby and want to dive in feet first, I'd say stick with soft corals, they grow much faster, they move, are usually cheaper, and tend to be a little more forgiving.

I love the look of exotic corals and exotic fish such as sharks and sting rays.
Forget the Shark & Sting ray idea, your tank is WAY too small for any of them.

Welcome to BAR! First of all I would recommend not to rush anything. Take your time reading a lot and asking questions here. This is a very nice hobby but you have to be patient. Rushing things in this hobby leads to disasters. Make sure you let your tank cycle before filling it up with all kinds of fish and coral in a very short amount of time.
You can go a lot of ways with this tank but the shark and sting ray idea will unfortunately not work, it is way too small for that I would say.

I love the look of exotic corals and exotic fish such as sharks and sting rays.
You don't happen to work at a bank do you?

The best advice I have ever received and like ever give is: Nothing good in reefing happen fast.

Read up. Research. Plan. I know you will want immediate results (as most of us do) but it is in your's and the corals and fish's best interest if you go slow.

Check out these threads
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1031074
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1526752

Thanks for all the great advice guys really appreciate everything...I haven't bought anything yet i still need to put everything together first and that's really the part i need help the most. Ive been doing a lot of reading up and i really want to take my time with it so then i don't have any problems with it on the long run. Thank you guys for all the great feed back and honestly cause i really need to hear things like that so i don't go to crazy with my tank. Any good suggestions of good places with wide variety of selections for fish and or coral? Ive been to places like connies in castro valley, and 6th ave aquariums in San Francisco there is also another place i might check out in Milpitas.

PS.. Gomer i do work for a bank how did you know?

Does your name start with an L and you work on a street that starts with a K?

I'm either psychic, a stalker, or have super secret insider information ;)...or a combination of the three.

Look i didn't mean to offend anyone. It's just that i sold some equipment to this guy who was an Oakland cop. He went on to just bug for advice. He would load my email up with every craigslist tank for sale and ask if this was a good tank to buy. These questions just seemed really familiar.

HAHA Gomer thats funny buddy I know A little somthing about you to.... Does your name start with a T and the street you live in start with a C??? HAHA
I'm either psychic, a stalker, or have super secret insider information ...or a combination of the three TO!!! hhahaha
[quote author=Gomer link=topic=5579.msg69849#msg69849 date=1229446450]
Does your name start with an L and you work on a street that starts with a K?

I'm either psychic, a stalker, or have super secret insider information ;)...or a combination of the three.

Back