Jestersix

Need some lighting ideas

The_Lazy_Reefer

Supporting Member
Hey so I’m looking to supplement my 3 ai primes with some t5s. I’m aware of the aquatic life kit but that things reviews are all over the place with build quality being the top concern so I’m wondering if any of you diy experts could guide me in the right direction to get 2-4 bulbs onto the tank without it looking like I just threw it on there. tia!
12ec473824c9899c051d0f33977d2812.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aquatic Life recently came out with an update to their hybrid fixture, solving most if not all of the major issues people were complaining about-

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/36-dx18-hybrid-dimmable-t5-ho-light-fixture-aquatic-life.html
And increasing the price on the fixtures by $250 (for something like the 24" fixture that's a 100% increase in price... something I expect companies like Ecotech to do but not these guys :D)

That said, extruded aluminum can make a really nice frame to hold everything in place (modular like an erector set), and if you attached a black acrylic or pvc board, etc "skirt" around the thing so you don't actually see the fixture from the side it might not look half bad. Of course a lot of this depends upon your ability to do this kind of work.

Addressing all of the issues of gen1, adding 2-channel T5 dimming, higher end build quality, better fit/finish, extra conduits included for cord management and other design issues, isn’t free. Of course it’s going to cost more. It isn’t price gouging like you are implying, it is just reality. Good reef quality T5 bulbs are expensive too, by the way, and need to be replaced.

The older gen1 is still available if the cost differential is more important than the upgrades to you, for example for those putting it in a hood and not needing dimming.

see I didn't see an issue with the original build quality, I'm saying this as someone who doesn't have it though. It had 2 power cords which yeah were not wisely done (one on either side of the fixture). And I'm not implying gouging, it just is a huge increase for the perception of what you get more, good bulbs cost more sure but you don't get bulbs with it IIRC. But hell it's more expensive than the Giesemann fixture now and they are usually thought of as "expensive" (although the Giesemann one has a very questionable LED mounting option.

I'm in the market for a hybrid and leaning towards going with the older aquatic life. Dimming is not the biggest deal since I plan on running the T5s at peak with LEDs on a longer cycle.

Also going to build mounting arms out of black 80/20. These would match the finish of the old fixture well, and I can run power cords in the channel of the 80/20. Also $$$.

Look at tnutz.com for your 8020, while you can get 8020 somewhat locally (out in the direction of Livermore I think?) tnutz sells for half the price, but the shipping can hurt, especially if you're ordering long pieces.

I guess my question : What exact problem are you trying to solve?

Adding T5 means heat + replacing bulbs + big fixture.
Your tank looks pretty nice as it is.

I understood hybrid fixtures in the old days, but I am not sure they make that much sense anymore with all the LED improvements.

Hey thanks for all the replies! Appreciate it a lot. My goal is more of a blanket of light as the primes do cover pretty well but there are a lot of shadows in places I could put corals if I added at least 2 bulbs on there to blanket it up a bit. Did some digging on R2R and so far the best mounting option for the aquatic life non diy is just to buy 2x ap700 mounts and hang it from that. I’m not too stoked on the price point of the new aquatic life fixture so maybe I can live with 2 cords on either end though it just hurts my brain thinking about it lol

Hey thanks for all the replies! Appreciate it a lot. My goal is more of a blanket of light as the primes do cover pretty well but there are a lot of shadows in places I could put corals if I added at least 2 bulbs on there to blanket it up a bit. Did some digging on R2R and so far the best mounting option for the aquatic life non diy is just to buy 2x ap700 mounts and hang it from that. I’m not too stoked on the price point of the new aquatic life fixture so maybe I can live with 2 cords on either end though it just hurts my brain thinking about it lol
If you have a link for threads showing AP700 mounts with aquatic life hybrid fixture, I’d like to check it out.

21281fbbb7fb30fb44c2cc13ec8c1870.jpg
I have given it a thought and if I went that route I would put 2 of these on the reef and see how the do. For 100$ + bulbs it’s certainly my cheapest bang for the buck so far.

If you have a link for threads showing AP700 mounts with aquatic life hybrid fixture, I’d like to check it out.
0964bb8f0759dfb412da0e660e807dbd.jpg
can’t find the thread but I saved the only relevant info which was this photo. Seems to work just fine and at 135$ for the mounts it’s not a terrible price to pay for clean non ceiling mounting

Reactions: JVU
Thanks. I already have the AP700’s and the Kessil arms, and I’ve been considering adding a hybrid light for better coverage. Bit worried about the extra weight and torque on the glass.

Thanks. I already have the AP700’s and the Kessil arms, and I’ve been considering adding a hybrid light for better coverage. Bit worried about the extra weight and torque on the glass.
the poster said it felt sturdy and that the fixture itself isn’t much weight. I certainly wouldn’t try it with anything less than 1/2” glass

Reactions: JVU
Those cheap sun blaster lights have a lot of negative reviews.
On top of that, you are going to put it in moist saltwater air.
I would stick with something built for aquariums and properly sealed.

Back