Cali Kid Corals

Need Some Urgent Help For A Couple Maine Lobsters

So, upon arriving home today, my wife said that a big box of fish food was waiting on the front porch. I was a bit surprised since my order from Reed arrived yesterday, so I thought perhaps a duplicate shipment was sent.

Well, when I saw the box I realized it was from not Reed, but somewhere else. As soon as I opened it, I realized that it was a gift from my sister who had called me yesterday saying my belated birthday gift was on the way and she "hoped I had a good sense of humor".

As I pulled off the styro lid I came to realize that the box indeed contained lobsters, and they indeed were live. The story takes an interesting twist here when one of my daughters and my wife concluded that we couldn't in any way eat them and instead I should put them in my tank. That of course won't work so I'm putting out the word to see if anyone knows of coldwater displays that could use these.

Rich and Matt are of course the most likely candidates, so if anyone reads this and has a way to call them, please ask them to shoot me a PM. I'm also open to any other suggestions of potential adopters ... and it goes hopefully without saying that anyone who has a desire to make these into a meal -- please don't :)

Thanks in advance for anyone who might be able to help!

Arnold, no I love it but my youngest is on the "save the lobsters" path ... we could take them over to my mother in law's to cook but she'll have nothing of that! Maybe if I can keep them for a couple days in chilled seawater the initial resistance will fade.

They aren't endangered, at this point after so many resources have been expended to get them there it's environmentally irresponsible to let them go to waste. ;)

1. Don't give family members any food.

2. Put lobsters in a cooler with some seawater and chuck in ziplock baggies of ice. With an air stone and daily water changes they'll be ok til your family gets hungry.

3. Eat lobsters.

Seriously, I'd be glad to take them off your hands, but they'd be in a research tank, not a display.

Well I don't have any cold water tanks to store them in.... however I have a great alternative, a big tank of boiling hot water I think they would be right at home in :D

It's pretty cold in the Pacific Ocean off the coast of Marin.
I will be fishing there for the next three days.
Maybe they will be OK if you let them go here. :D
I would be happy to help.

Jon, thanks for the offer and I had thought of that as well. However, being a former fisheries biologist I'm caught in the ethical dilemma of not releasing foreign species into an environment. I think that there may be a lead at the MBA, but will have to see. IN the meantime, "Larry, Curly, and Gary" will hopefilly be able to exist for the time being in hastily constructed but chilled temporary housing.

Crabby ... if the options don't pan out maybe they'll have to come visit you for some research!

Hah :) that would be a definite draw ... something like "former tank inhabitant" rolls, aka lobster rolls. Well, it turns out there was a 4th hitchhiker in the box, so Larry, Curly, Gary, and now Moe have been happily transferred to their new temporary home in a tub. Guess the spare equipment finally came in handy as the extra chiller is being put to good use and the the inhabitants are scurrying about. We'll have to see how this plays out since I am hungry and my older daughter now has that look in her eyes ...

Back