Our mission

Need to drill out Acrilic tank top to make space for cords

Roc

Since I am going to be running 2 powerheads inside my tank I now need a place for the cords to come out. My tank top has a soild top with 2 12"-18" holes cut into for access but they are near the front.

I am wondering the best way to go about cutting 2 holes just big enough for the powerhead cords to come through at the back corners?

What type of drill bit is best for acrilic? and can anyone seggust a covering to go around the holes simlar to a cord protector on a desk?

You should be able to use any good & sharp drill bit to make the holes and you should be able to find grommets at HD or Lowe's. If you can't find grommets you like I'm sure you could fashion some out of scrap plastic/acrylic with a small slit in it for the cord.

[quote author=Roc link=topic=3663.msg42450#msg42450 date=1210016703]
whay about using a hole drill bit like on uses for door hardware installtion[/quote]
Yeah, you could use a cookie cutter style bit. You should be able to get a kit of various sizes. Raddogz is right though, you'll have to fish them out everytime you need to clean your ph's but that's better than not having a hole I guess.

the fishing part is very easy with where these are getting placed but it would look REALLY ugy to have the cords come up to the center of the display

The fishing is not the hard part - it's the fact you have to make sure the plug is really dry before you plug it back in or you will get one nasty shock of your life.

Back