Neptune Aquatics

Neptune System Apex

sfsuphysics

Supporting Member
Looks a little too much like the Reef Keeper Elite, and worst of all it's price point is going to make it incredibly difficult to sell my RKE! :mad: (ok and I got a AC3 not too long ago!)

Oh yeah video
http://www.viddler.com/explore/reefbuilders/videos/11/

It's super nice. Curt did a bang up job on it. I spent a few hours talking to him about it.

I've been looking into a controller and was contemplating the RKL...but this...I might have to save up for this one.

I do have a worry. I wonder how secure the network side is. Could someone malicious explicitly target you to hack your Apex and kill your tank?

Gomer said:
I've been looking into a controller and was contemplating the RKL...but this...I might have to save up for this one.

I do have a worry. I wonder how secure the network side is. Could someone malicious explicitly target you to hack your Apex and kill your tank?

Lets see if I can get Curt to help answer these questions here :)

I spoke to Curt about this at MAX as well. The web interface was incredibly slick and the feature I think is the most revolutionary is the current monitoring capability on each of the sockets so the controller knows if something is actually on or not.

Gomer said:
Most likely as secure as it currently is. I mean there's a username & password.. *shrug*

I would bet that it uses basic plain-text authentication and doesn't support SSL (secure socket layer). Assuming that's the case, it would be possible for someone to gain access and crash your tank. However, they would need:

1) access to your network at home, access to the network you're connecting form, or access at some hop between the two.
2) the know-how to sniff packets and extract passwords
3) to be on your network actively sniffing when you type in your password

#1 could be accomplished in several ways. If you have an unsecured wifi network, they could sit outside your house in a car with a laptop. Alternatively they could go online at the same starbucks you do or plug in to an ethernet port at your job. (well, probably not at YOUR job, Tony, but at most peoples jobs).

#2 may not be that difficult, since there are handy utilities that will do it for you.

#3 is just a matter of patience

It's also possible that the controller supports SSL or at least digest authentication. That would make it much more difficult.

Well if you had a container of premixed SW, you could make it do water changes for you :D
However when I do water changes I like to siphon junk from the bottom, unfortunately don't think it could quite do that... yet...

Back