Neptune Aquatics

New product reveal!

While I would have had to pay for them, that isn't why.

I'm a skeptic of all things new. Even through the whole development phase of the Trident and now the SKY, I keep asking is it really necessary or is it really better?
There's an awful lot of folks running metal halides, filter socks, doing water changes, and using miracle mud that would say none of the new fangled stuff is necessary. :) They'd be right.

... We are never about sole exclusivity. We WANT other companies to be able to integrate with Apex. ...
You should take that to the next level.
Create an "Apex App Store" with real infrastructure.
I am not kidding.

On the hardware side, you use a standard USB cable and a standard CAN bus. Open that up.
Add ability for a plug-in app on Fusion.
Add ability for plug-in rules and data transfer on Apex.
You core code really just loads the thread and passes data.

Advantages:
1) Integration for Kessil/others becomes their problem, not yours.
2) Another possible revenue stream.
3) The "next big thing" is usually from a DIY/startup. With an open interface, it might be on your system first.
4) Makes it easier when YOU create new products.
5) If GHL does it first, you might be in trouble.

Yes, it is a LOT of work to set up that sort of infrastructure.

Reactions: JVU
You should take that to the next level.
Create an "Apex App Store" with real infrastructure.
I am not kidding.

On the hardware side, you use a standard USB cable and a standard CAN bus. Open that up.
Add ability for a plug-in app on Fusion.
Add ability for plug-in rules and data transfer on Apex.
You core code really just loads the thread and passes data.

Advantages:
1) Integration for Kessil/others becomes their problem, not yours.
2) Another possible revenue stream.
3) The "next big thing" is usually from a DIY/startup. With an open interface, it might be on your system first.
4) Makes it easier when YOU create new products.
5) If GHL does it first, you might be in trouble.

Yes, it is a LOT of work to set up that sort of infrastructure.
The problem with that is we lose any control over quality. Over how it should look like, how it should function. We lose product cohesion and identity.
Then there is support. Even though it may have come from the app store, it becomes our problem.

Oops.. posted too early.

...... I was 1 of the last in the office to get a Trident. And I'm the last in the whole company (including personal stationed outside of Ca) to get a SKY.

When I finally got my Trident, I went from a skeptic to testing 24 times a day even though I was supposed to run only 4 (I did get some talking to for it because reagents were not plentiful at that time)

With the SKY, I've seen 1st hand tanks going from Kessil 360s, Philips Coral Cares and Radions to SKYs. I've seen the proof in the pudding as they say. So I will get SKYs for my office tank and will switch from AP700s to SKYs for the home tank in the near future.

The problem with that is we lose any control over quality. Over how it should look like, how it should function. We lose product cohesion and identity.
Then there is support. Even though it may have come from the app store, it becomes our problem.
Not necessarily. Think Apple app store more than Google app store.
You approve who gets on the Apex app store.
If an iPhone App crashes, do you call Apple?
Plus you get to pass along the cost of support.

But I agree, there are some big risks. Mostly when it is done wrong. But it is no easy thing to do right.

If an iPhone App crashes, do you call Apple?
You'll be surprised how many support calls about products not made by us.

I had an angry phone call from a customer about his Radions. He didn't even have a WXM so there was no connection to Apex whatsoever. He ranted on and on for about 10 mins before I could get a word in and politely informed him that he called the wrong company.

Oops.. posted too early.

...... I was 1 of the last in the office to get a Trident. And I'm the last in the whole company (including personal stationed outside of Ca) to get a SKY.

When I finally got my Trident, I went from a skeptic to testing 24 times a day even though I was supposed to run only 4 (I did get some talking to for it because reagents were not plentiful at that time)

With the SKY, I've seen 1st hand tanks going from Kessil 360s, Philips Coral Cares and Radions to SKYs. I've seen the proof in the pudding as they say. So I will get SKYs for my office tank and will switch from AP700s to SKYs for the home tank in the near future.

How much you want to sell that AP700 for? How many hours on it?

I think the SKY's rock. The problems with my tank had nothing to do with the light change - that said, the problems are resolved and boy things are looking and growing good. I have been running these lights since January.
I have a big euro center brace on my 150, so I am running 3 SKY's. Without the center brace, two would be fine. I like the form factor, the spread, the quality of the light, zero disco ball, built in moon light, the controllability, super easy to set up, and they work with APEX. Friggin dreamy.
I want 4 more for the Secret home lab tanks.

12k top, 14k bottom, straight out of iphone.

9E7B80EC-C17B-4575-9831-726A028B6C49.JPG

Gorgeous…
So I see a copper banded butterfly fish… mind if I ask how long you’ve had it? Any chance you’ve tried keeping tridacnid clams with it?

Last edited:
Hmmm, it’s the “used to” part I’m worried about… got this little one waiting for his tank to arrive this weekend. And 5 clams I’d like him to share space with.
7909BAA9-70E3-4203-ACBA-502F1A681DE1.jpeg

Back