High Tide Aquatics

New state, new tank

Hello. I recently moved to the bay area and had to leave my 55gal and 29gal planted freshwater tanks in the care of my brother back in Chicago. I've always wanted to set up a saltwater tank but it was cost prohibitive in the past. No longer! After days of reading, researching, and waffling back and forth on FW or SW, I finally decided to take the plunge. I am very happy to find a friendly and knowledgeable club right here in the local area.

I'm currently in the planning and gathering equipment stage. I have a ~100 gallon tank which I have already drilled for overflows and returns. I've got a skimmer, pumps, powerheads, lights, and just about everything I need to start. Unfortunately I am being threatened with a long term business trip in a month or two, so I won't be stocking or even filling with water any time soon, but I am taking this time to plan the heck out of everything. I want to get this done right the first time. I hate doing things twice!

In short, Hi. Nice to meet you all. I'll be bothering you a lot :)

-Peter

Hi Peter
Welcome to the club and feel free to ask questions we have very good member with lots of experience that could give you advise and help.
I will see you tomorrow.

Welcome to the bay area, and to the reef hobby! It's not that much more complicated than planted FW tanks (just a lot more expensive). $)

Wassup... How long is your trip? you should at least fill with water and live rock to let your tank cycle. Don't need lights, just overflow, return, and powerheads pushing water. Maybe just need someone to top off water, unless you have an ATO already. Tank cycle will take at least a month, the trip would be perfect time to kill some of that.

It'll be anywhere from 2 weeks to a month. I agree it would be a perfect time to cycle. I don't have an ATO, but do you think if I filled the tank not quite to the overflows/returns and just circulated water around with a powerhead or two I'd be OK? How important is gas exchange during this time? Could I cover up the top with glass/acrylic to reduce most of the evaporation and not have to worry about an ATO malfunction?

I just cycled some dry white rock in a 30 gallon tank with a power head. About three weeks. The rock had just been washed off after the last use and then allowed to dry out. I used the lights( 12 hours/day)from the former planted tank and took some chaeto and spread it thin over all the rock. The chaeto is a thick four inch mat now and the rock did not get the cyano buildup as it has been shaded with the pump moving under the cheato. I did top off fresh water about once a week, but it did not drop much given the water surface was not disturbed.

If it does not progress while you are gone, you then have to cycle the rock so you are not behind. Good luck Peter and welcome to BAR and reefing. I have been at this less than two years, follow my words with caution.

Well, not TRULY a Chi-guy but I lived in the suburbs. Close enough ...right? I like it better here anyway :) If I want to see snow I drive to it, not get buried in it whenever it decides to come down.

My Dad's side of the family was in Barrington but I was born in Chicago.

Back