Jestersix

New tank needs seed

Hey,
I'm new to the reef keeping-actually I'll be going through the process of setting up my new tank! ;D What I would like to know is if anyone has like a cup-full of live sand to seed mine. I didn't buy live sand because I didn't have enough money- I'm a teen and running on chore money.. so ya! Any advice would also be appreciated about curing live rock would be nice too! Thanks!

I am in San Francisco and I am in the process of upgrading to a bigger tank. I currently have 3 sandbeds running and in a month 2 will be disassembled. You are welcome to scoops of any of the three, if sf is a convenient place for you.

Also, I will be putting a 57g tank up for sale when I finish moving things over, and you'd be welcome to as much of that sand as you wanted.

As for curing live rocks, it really depends on their condition. Most rock you buy in stores is already mostly cured, so just adding it to the tank while you cycle is fine.

Thanks! Actually I'm going there soon to pick up some fish. I dnt need all that much sand since I already have 20lbs, so just a scoop or two. (i could also just take the sand out i currently have and soak it and rinse it and use it in another tank-it isnt seeded)
The rock I have right now I got from a friend and it was infested with aptasias. I boiled it and its now dead. So I have to cure it. Sadly also, it had alot of corraline algae. :(
Thanks!

I have a 20-gallon, 15 lbs dead rock that needs to be cured, getting 5 lbs completely cure ready to go live rock. shud i get un-cured live rock and cure it w/my deadish rock. i boiled the rock.

Yikes! I really dislike the trend of boiling or acid dipping rock to get rid of a pest like that.

In any case, I've never boiled rock so I'm not sure what the end result is. If you have clean rocks with no boiled dead stuff as a result just drop them in your tank and seed them with some actual live rock as you plan to do.

If you have a bunch of boiled animal corpses on the rock throw it in a rubbermaid with salt water for six months and go buy new rock. If you can find true uncured rock buy a couple very small pieces. Handpick them, look for worms, micro dusters, amphipods, and macroalgae such as halimeda.

Try to avoid hydroids, aiptasia, mojanos, and most macroalgae when picking your seed rubble.

ya... imma SCRUB the rock... like labors of painful hours with a toothbrush! XD im such a teen to go to great lengths to save money... lawls... neways so thats wat i was thinking... seed the sand with the cured rock, scrub the dead rock, run it in a bucket for a week or two, then put it in the tank and re-seed it...
haha.. i chipped off some non-aptasia pieces of live rock with the algae and have them in my brine-shrimp bucket... it is oddly working out okay without a powerhead... i mite be lucky! just something i thought id try... its just a few tiny peices tho

i can get true un-cured rock, the store i buy from does special orders... they are also ordering a pellet-fed spotted mandarin dragonet for me. ^___________________________^
but its liek $60.. o_O

As an alternative idea, if you are looking for dead base rock I have a 50g drum I throw any random pieces in. Some are from my old tanks, some are dry from Ocean Treasures shutdown, and some was from a friend's tank teardown. If you want to look through the barrel and save yourself scrubbing time I'll trade pieces with you. It's all been cooking at least 4 months, and I just did a wc so it should be pretty clean. No pests, but not much else live on it either.

THANKS!! so much easier! I do like the rock i hav tho cuz it has branches... i mite take that then deal w/that rock l8r in my fuge
omg... u dnt know how much more helpful that wud be!! ^_________________________________^

xXRose_ThorneXx said:
... they are also ordering a pellet-fed spotted mandarin dragonet for me. ...

You sure you do not want to wait a bit on a fish like that?
In a brand new tank like yours, there will be almost nothing natural for it to eat.
And while they may say it is pellet fed, who really knows.
Is it truly capable of surviving on pellets only, or is it just learning to eat a few here and there?
Risky.

anathema said:

Also, I will be putting a 57g tank up for sale when I finish moving things over, and you'd be welcome to as much of that sand as you wanted.

looking for a 57gal in the future. shot me a PM when ready.

i'm glad to see people are helping you out, rose_thorne. this is Bryan, the previous owner of the aiptasia rocks. hopefully everything is working out for you so far. make sure to quarantine the new fish that you are getting. i made that huge mistake of not setting one up and learned my lesson.

Back