High Tide Aquatics

New Tank Question

So I've had my tank up for 17 days now. I tested on Friday and my ammonium and nitrite was at 0 and nitrate at 20. I did about a 50% water change and tested again yesterday (was out of town all weekend) and my nitrate is still at 20. Is this normal after a large water change. Seems like my nitrates should be dropping or am I just being extremely impatient? >:(

I'd say it's a bit impatience, what this is most likely telling you is that you still have dying decaying matter in the tank. You have enough nitrifying bacteria to keep up with the ammonia that gets produce, however the end result is nitrates which the bacteria can't break down. So between Friday and yesterday you gained approximately 20ppm of nitrates to have a total of 40, so when you did a 50% change you brought it back down to 20 (unless of course you're using tap water with dechlora. solution, then you could be getting your nitrates from that and won't get it any lower if you continue that way)

It may take close to a month to cycle

This is one hobby where you have to have patience otherwise you're constantly waging war against algae, and dying animals.

Back