Jestersix

Newbie here !!

Hey everyone, I'm new to the hobby and so far I am really loving it !!! If anyone have any coral they don't want and would like to help me get my piece of ocean started that would be awesome. I do have about 20-30 lbs of live rock that i can throw in for you. Hope everyone enjoy that new years.

-EB

I've got a bunch of corals I can give you. I'm in San Mateo though. Send me a message if you're interested.

I really would like to setup a New Hobbyist/Fragging Workshop soon but will need help. Going to ask the BOD/club members at a later time.

Hey hey! Thanks for the warm welcome everyone and I would also love to take you up on your kind offer Enderturtle, PM sent!!

About my setup:

I have a 100 gallon glass aquarium 5ft long with 100 lbs of live rock and 100 lbs of live sand running 2x 165watts LED and a Jebao RW-15 powerhead. I only got a few hammerheads so far and a couple of mushrooms I bought from the LFS that somehow disappeared. I've read that if they don't like the spot their in they will float around to find a good spot, the thing is i have yet to find out where they're hiding =|

As for fish, I have a pair of nemo (clownfish), 5 blue chromis, a 6-line wrasse and a yellow tang. I will post some pictures up soon!

I also have 20-30 lbs of dried, once live, rocks that I don't use and would like to give some out to anyone who needs it. Enderturtle gets first dips!!

-EB

Also feel free to ask questions about tank/coral stuff. Gonna pass on the rocks though since my tank is too full.

A common problem that new people make is they fill up their tank really fast. Just to get that "full" look but there are a number of things that can go wrong.
1) corals grow too fast taking up prime real estate on rocks/killing other corals
2) pest invasive/harmful species introduced to tank (aiptasia, zoanthid eating nudibranchs, etc).
3) purchase a hard-to-keep-alive coral

The list of potential bad things goes on.

So take it slow. Enjoy your tank. Ask questions. Learn some things. And have fun!

Enderturtle, thanks for the tip. I have to admit, I'm guilty of all the above (this hobby is so addicting). By the way, my tank has only been setup for about 2 months. Before that I was breeding African Cichlids with a particular interest in Frontosa.

Here is a quick pic of my tank when I first set it up. Compliments on the awesome aquascaping are welcome :)

http://imgur.com/m0uW9a7

http://imgur.com/2urAK6u

These pictures are from about 1.5 months ago. I have since added more sand and messed around with the aquascaping a little bit.

What I found most frustrating when I first started was finding that sweet spot for the corals and the correct flow. On top of that my corals always seem to fall over into the substrate. I have since discover the joy of super gluing these critters to the live rocks :)

Back