Jestersix

Nikon 20mm f/2.8???

Anyone here shooting with one of these. I looked at one at the camera swap in SF a couple weeks ago.. I probably should have bought it just to play with.. It was pretty damned wide on my ff camera.. Seemed plenty sharp wide open and had slightly better color stopped down a bit. A bargain at $140.. Anyone here try one?????

I use the 20mm F/2.8D. It's one of the four lenses I have now. I've sold the rest. I usually only carry a 50mm f/1.8d, 85mm f/1.4d, and the 20mm f/2.8d. I sometimes bring my 105mm Sigma macro, but that thing needs to be retired soon.

It's really sharp, even at f/2.8. Small as heck, so it's easy to carry. Wide enough to provide dramatic lines, but doesn't do too much distortion. You want wide angles to give you some cool distortion to look nice sometimes =) I use it on a FX sensor (full frame) so it's pretty wide. I'd highly recommend it over something that zooms.

Here's a picture I took 12,000 feet up from sea level in -6.7 degrees celcius, worked great. This was accompanied by a circular polarizer, and a 1.2 stop gradual nd filter, hand held, mounted to a nikon d700:

Elite said:
you guys take great pics.. Wish I have the skill :|

That shot didn't really take real skill. What it took was waking up at 4:30am and getting to the top of that mountain in -6 degrees celcius weather. Whatever heck you used to take a picture, it looked great. My friend took a picture with her point and shoot canon and it looks almost eXACTLY the same.

Don't discredit your skills, everyone has them, especially you phong, you just gotta get out there and use it ;)

I've wanted that lens for a little bit now but how does ir rank against the Nikkor AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8g? (~$200)

GreshamH said:
I've wanted that lens for a little bit now but how does ir rank against the Nikkor AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8g? (~$200)

I don't know if you can compare them, they are 15mm different. The wider you go, the more dramatic each mm of focal length becomes. At 35mm you don't get any of the dramatic lines. on a DX sensor, the 35mm is very "normal," meaning it looks and feels like a very perfect image. Very perfect meaning it doesn't have distortion or a different perspective than human eyes. The 35mm on the FX sensor works too, has a lot of light falloff on the corners, but is usable.

I think the 20mm vs 35mm isn't comparable, at least for me, since I wouldn't use them for the same purposes.

Back