High Tide Aquatics

No No Nooooo Ugh!

I was sooo excited! Finally got my Apex Controller. Had taken hours to set it up and programming the equipment. Finally called it a night as I was tired. I thought I was safe, and then the cat was released from my daughter’s room. All it took, one swift bite and the cord for the display was bit right into two!!!!!! OMG

I tried to splice the two sides together in desperation. No, No, No its not working!!

I am so bummed.

No, its not phone type line. It has a USB type connection but the line is very thin. See picture below.
100_3543.jpg

damn that's suck... Is it hard wired? If not I'm sure you can get the cable from Neptune. Call Neptune, I'm sure they can help you out.

Yes it is hard wired. I took the back of the controller off to see how it is connected. It is soldered to the circuit board in 4 different spots (but still within the same area). I did call Neptune but their message states they will be out till the 24th! :(

That's USB?

Kind of looks like Firewire, but hard to tell.

If you can't splice, just get another cable from Office Max and solder it onto the board.

Mr. Ugly said:
If you can't splice, just get another cable from Office Max and solder it onto the board.

GAH! Don't tell her to do that! The thing is still under warranty, although I know cat chewing is probably not covered, but it'll probably be a cheaper fix to have them repair it, then you repair it (potentially screwing up the board with bad solders) and then have him have to replace that as well.

Oh yah, and get rid of the cat! :D

I'm sure that is a USB connection.

yeah I wouldn't do that myself. Just wait for Curt to come back. The company is located in SJ. You can just go there and drop it off. I'm sure they can fix it.

Well in the mean time maybe you can think of ways of kitty proofing it.

If the wires absolutely will stay exposed, perhaps some flexible conduit would work to help, either metal or plastic. Or use some sort screw on conduit (the rectangular stuff people use to hide exposed wires running up/along walls), that way you don't have to worry about fishing the connector through, you simply screw it over the existing wires (might look cleaner too :D). Or if you don't mind about looks, simply put tape over it against the stand, that should prevent chewing.

I'm with Mike and Phong, let Curt fix it when he gets back from Mexico :)

Warranty, what's that?

Oh come on. People can solder. That's the second time within a week I heard a BAR person sound nervous about soldering.

Guess we need to have a DIY meeting devoted to soldering :D

Mr. Ugly said:
Warranty, what's that?

Oh come on. People can solder. That's the second time within a week I heard a BAR person sound nervous about soldering.

Guess we need to have a DIY meeting devoted to soldering :D

Oh I can solder, that's not the issue. The first word you used is :) Don't forget this is a brand new product to the market. what *if* there was a critical issue that needed to be resolved and the unit was null and void since it was user modified?

Back