Neptune Aquatics

Now What?

well, ive been told that my tank must go by the end of the month. ive listed it on here and craigslist. nothing more than 2 hits for equipment. any other places to sell my tank besides RC? any stores buy corals and fish? landlord has given me until the end of the month, which coincidentally the same time frame that i need to pay for school. since nothing has sold, any other ideas? and giving away the stuff isnt an option. so dont mention it. this is actually fairly serious. im stuck on what to do or where to go from here. any and all help is great, thanks

Tanks are sitting around right now, people are too worried about their jobs to be concerned with fish. Best bet is to unload it cheap and quick.

that's sucks man... :( unfortunately if you don't have time to part it out as people become interested over time your going to have to take a significant hit on everything. $1000 for your full set up is probably pretty high considering all the tanks that are out there right now even above normal. Not to say that it is not a good deal in relation to what you invested in it but there are frankly much better deals than that posted on RC, BAR, LFS and CL pretty frequently. Just this evening I had a chance to get a used but fairly nice 240g 8' by 4' by 1' coral flat tank for $250... that gives you an idea of the market out there. Good luck... but like Jeremy said if you have to move it quick you'll probably have to go super cheap. If your not going to get any money out of it but still need to break it down due to the demands of your landlord I'd break it down and store it until you can set it back up again or until you're more likely to get a better deal out of selling it.

yea, originally she said it should t be a problem, but after seeing it, she realized how big 75 gallons of water is. i`m askin 1200 just as an offer because i have no idea what to price it at, but im open to reasonable offers. i think the next time i setup a tank, i`m gonna go alot bigger than 75. but that is for all the rock, sand, filters, corals, etc. i just hate to know i`m ripping myself off. buy a coral for 30$, grow it out for a year, then sell it for less just doesnt make good business sense, or logical sense for that matter. the thing that really gets to me is that not even offers are out there. i got an offer for 100$, but ha.

It might worth $30 to you but it could worth less than a $1 to others (especially coral).. in this hobby, you always lose $ when you quit. Dont expect to get more than 70% back.. 50% if you lucky..

[quote author=Elite link=topic=6970.msg90504#msg90504 date=1237519690]
It might worth $30 to you but it could worth less than a $1 to others (especially coral).. in this hobby, you always lose $ when you quit. Dont expect to get more than 70% back.. 50% if you lucky..
[/quote]

look at the housing market ... and feel good if you can get some $$$ back.

The logic actually flows like this... You spend $30 at LFS for coral... you enter the BAR community... find out that you can get that coral for free anytime... Now the coral is worth $0. Certain corals that have a high demand and low availability will certainly still be worth something and more as the colony increases in size. But many corals like the ones I see in your pics are generously given away by many members here on BAR. ... and with the economy being the way it is... it is certainly a buyers market... not a sellers.

Like Fishme said... My house in NC was purchased for $220K... Spent $30K on improvements to raise the homes value... was then worth $280K... One year later (today) Valued at $179K... and I can't give the house away... :'(

[quote author=zambavi link=topic=6970.msg90511#msg90511 date=1237520368]
...many corals like the ones I see in your pics are generously given away by many members here on BAR. ..
[/quote]

Some of them you might even have a hard time giving it away on here.. Ask Jeremy, he knows this too well ;D ..

You will have much better luck selling on CL..

well that would make sense if i bought most of these in the stores. but i didnt, i got them mostly from RC. but thats not the point. its like baseball cards. the book may say its worth 5,000$ but if no1 will buy it, its only worth its weight in recycling. But the point is, i gotta sell this stuff, and i`m open to offers. even that doesnt seem to help. almost as if the universe wants me to keep it. i feel you on the housing market. sorry to here that. unfortunately the markets were hyperinflated and now they are simply re-adjusting to the shift. best of luck with that one.

i put prices simply because i thought they had to be there. i`m open to offers on it all.

Back