Cali Kid Corals

Ok married and kids complete. Now back to reefing - Red Sea G2+ S950 Peninusula

dzuckerm

Supporting Member
Hi everyone! Jumping back into the hobby after an 8 year hiatus. Decided to create a mixed reef with a peninsula tank that will divide my living room and kitchen areas. Wanted to go big! So decided to go with the Red Sea G2+ S950 Peninsula. Tank is 200 gallons and sump is 50
Going to go all in with Red Sea. So ordered the following:
lighting: 4x Reef LED 950s
Return pump: Reefrun DC 900
Filtration: Reefmat 1200
Skimmer: Reefer DC 900
Circulation: Reefwave 45 x 2

Using about 150-200 lbs dry Marco rock that I’ve already awuascapes and glued together. Will use caribsea live sand
Will begin cycle using liquid ammonia and Dr Tim’s One and Only. Will monitor ammonia using the Seneye Reef aquarium monitor. Otherwise using Hanna testers.

The tank arrived Yesterday so I started some unpacking. Will start building the stand tomorrow. some initial pics below but will update as I go.

Would love to meet another people in the hobby that are in the area. I actually don’t know any other reefers. Live in San Bruno.

71047527675__9A12DCFC-63F2-4442-9C5E-F9C365BF86A2.jpeg
71047526623__2F0CF27C-0906-4124-B7FD-49B7D6126E56.jpeg

Welcome back and congrats on the new tank! Love the Peninsula style tanks. I think Red Sea definitely stepped up their build quality with the G2+ plug and play systems. I’m using their ReefMat 1200, ReefDose4 and ATO+, so far they have worked flawlessly. ReefBeat app has been more stable as well with the updates. Looking forward to your tank journal!

Hey neighbor! Would love to know what LFs's you recommend. And hope to meet you sometime in the future!

There's only one nearby in SSF, it's called natural life aquarium. owner manfred is not too customer friendly and he doesn't list price on the fish, but I wouid say the fish he picked is pretty nice in color and shape, If you willing to drive a little further, Lucky Ocean at balboa st( was suppose to close down earlier but now his landlord still hasn't kick him out, maybe can't find anyone else to rent that place in sf now). Both store treat and semi quarantine their fish, i never had any issue with them. Further one high tide in oakland kenny fully quarantine the fish and a lot of corals (there's a upcoming fragging workshop in aug you can attend)

Welcome back-and with quite the tank to jump back in!

Have been using a lot of Red Sea products including their dosers, lights, reefmat, and ato.

App works well these days. Most of the hardware also works well too -couple quirks with lights if loss of power to Wi-Fi station-can lose connectivity-and need to reset it. All other hardware seems to reconnect.

Welcome to BAR and back to the hobby!

You’ve come to the right place to meet local reefers. We are having a social with a reefing talk with an expert today at High Tide Aquatics in Oakland at 5p.

Also a coral fragging workshop same place next month.

And a frag swap where we trade corals with each other and socialize about a month later, details TBD.

You should come to whatever you can make it to!

There's only one nearby in SSF, it's called natural life aquarium. owner manfred is not too customer friendly and he doesn't list price on the fish, but I wouid say the fish he picked is pretty nice in color and shape, If you willing to drive a little further, Lucky Ocean at balboa st( was suppose to close down earlier but now his landlord still hasn't kick him out, maybe can't find anyone else to rent that place in sf now). Both store treat and semi quarantine their fish, i never had any issue with them. Further one high tide in oakland kenny fully quarantine the fish and a lot of corals (there's a upcoming fragging workshop in aug you can attend)
Seconding Kenny at High Tide Aquatics (@under_water_ninja on this forum). In addition to the other points raised about his shop, my perspective on larger tanks is that more fish = more points of failure for disease transmission = more chance for a tank wipe, so - if you don't feel like QTing fish yourself - he's by far the best go-to option.

Seconding Kenny at High Tide Aquatics (@under_water_ninja on this forum). In addition to the other points raised about his shop, my perspective on larger tanks is that more fish = more points of failure for disease transmission = more chance for a tank wipe, so - if you don't feel like QTing fish yourself - he's by far the best go-to option.
Absolutely agree! I’ve been debating creating my own quarantine tank but to be honest the time and evergy to correctly do the whole quarantine process just seems like a lot. To me it would be well worth the drive and even extra cost (if the fish are priced higher) to go to Oakland if it meant avoiding having to do the quarantine process myself.

Welcome to BAR and back to the hobby!

You’ve come to the right place to meet local reefers. We are having a social with a reefing talk with an expert today at High Tide Aquatics in Oakland at 5p.

Also a coral fragging workshop same place next month.

And a frag swap where we trade corals with each other and socialize about a month later, details TBD.

You should come to whatever you can make it to!
Excellent I will definitely make a point of attending as many events as I can! I really look forward to meeting everyone in person!

Absolutely agree! I’ve been debating creating my own quarantine tank but to be honest the time and evergy to correctly do the whole quarantine process just seems like a lot. To me it would be well worth the drive and even extra cost (if the fish are priced higher) to go to Oakland if it meant avoiding having to do the quarantine process myself.
Understandable. I'm getting a bunch of QT'd fish from him anyway, but am QTing some fish I already have. While it's a valuable lesson, the process isn't fun, takes a lot of equipment, and can require tailoring it to specific fish (such as chromis not liking copper, as I found out).

Highly recommend checking him out during the talk or frag workshop, and congratulations on the great new tank!

Back