got ethical husbandry?

Opinion on Chillers...???

[quote author=jkreefer link=topic=5791.msg72800#msg72800 date=1231124291]
I've gotta 1/3 hp JBJ Arctica for sale. PM me
[/quote]

Just PM'd you...

[quote author=seminolecpa link=topic=5791.msg72820#msg72820 date=1231135495]
I love my Artica. Had one in Texas and it did wonders for me through a Texas summer.
[/quote]

Thanks... I believe I'm between the Artica and TECO when it comes down to quietness and energy efficiency. Right now the question is 1/3hp or 1/4hp as well as New or Used. There are a few used chillers up for grabs right now (under $400) so I'm having a hard time making a decision... I will think on it for a few days...

I bought a used 1/3 hp artica and have been happy with it. It's next to my tank so that makes it heat up the room ~4-5 degrees in the summer and while the noise is bearable, if it's in the same room as you, you'll need to turn the TV up a bit. My overall system is ~225 gallons and the chiller kicks in at 81.5 F. It takes about an hour to pull temp down a couple degrees, so I'm glad I got the 1/3 hp, especially since i don't vent the heat. Less 'on' time = less duration of noise, so if you can get a good 1/3 hp one I think you'll be happy you got the higher powered one. My guess is the chiller increased my electric bill by about $30/ month.

[quote author=CookieJar link=topic=5791.msg72834#msg72834 date=1231149407]
I bought a used 1/3 hp artica and have been happy with it. It's next to my tank so that makes it heat up the room ~4-5 degrees in the summer and while the noise is bearable, if it's in the same room as you, you'll need to turn the TV up a bit. My overall system is ~225 gallons and the chiller kicks in at 81.5 F. It takes about an hour to pull temp down a couple degrees, so I'm glad I got the 1/3 hp, especially since i don't vent the heat. Less 'on' time = less duration of noise, so if you can get a good 1/3 hp one I think you'll be happy you got the higher powered one. My guess is the chiller increased my electric bill by about $30/ month.
[/quote]

Thanks for the feedback CookieJar... with the size of my system I am also thinking that 1/3HP will be needed. I'm looking at 200g total system volume right now so I believe I will need the extra HP.

Back