Kessil

OT ... LF Advice On Synthesizers From The Music / IT Experts ...

Hi All ... my 15 year old daughter currently has a thing for electronica (think Swedish House Mafia, etc.) and she's been playing a little on our PC with some app that allows her to lay down some tracks. I'm not sure how long this interest will continue ... maybe about as long as Hannah Montana and subsequently Justin Bieber were all her rage, but she said for Christmas she'd like a synthesizer to make some music.

I've been to places like Best Buy, and see that they have both synthesizers and DJ stations, but have to admit to being a bit perplexed about the difference and how they are used. We have both PC and Mac platforms at home, so something that would integrate with her laptop would be good. I also don't want to drop a significant amount of $$ on something that might be a passing interest, so I told her it might have to be something used.

If anyone has any advice they can offer on the different products or where to go for decent prices, that would be great. Or, if anyone has (or knows of anyone who does have) something appropriate gathering dust that they'd like to trade for fish stuff or sell, that would be even better yet.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

OK, now I am super lost with those names!!! "Merry Christmas sweetie ... here's a moog for you :)"

Denzil, many thanks for looking into this and I'll search off those items.

Robin

Yep, not a problem. Hopefully you figure things out with that advice, haha. :)

Oh by the way, more info:
If she wants a DJ station Pioneer just released a new one Wego. It should be easy for a newbie, or an ergo is good too.

Hey Denzil, silly question perhaps but what is the distinction between a synthesizer and a DJ station? In the old days the stations were used to "warp" sounds from platters in order to create new sounds. It seems the synthesizer is similarly a device that is used to create sounds electronically (again, in the old days I seem to recall them being used in conjunction with keyboards).

I think in any case she would not like to only create sounds, but be able to save them and layer them over each other to create tracks that she can replay later or share with her buddies.

On the low end, Garage Band for the Mac might do what you want for the 'play it, record it, edit it'. I believe it would connect to any MIDI device.

If you are interested, I can check further.

They make a small keyboard that hooks up to an iphone now days. You use an Ap for the sounds, but it's pretty impressive. I think it is less than 100 bucks and because it uses an App they are always adding more sounds / beats, etc. It's called "Akai Professional Synth Station 25 iPhone iPod Touch keyboard"

fingerwrinkles said:
Hey Denzil, silly question perhaps but what is the distinction between a synthesizer and a DJ station? In the old days the stations were used to "warp" sounds from platters in order to create new sounds. It seems the synthesizer is similarly a device that is used to create sounds electronically (again, in the old days I seem to recall them being used in conjunction with keyboards).

I think in any case she would not like to only create sounds, but be able to save them and layer them over each other to create tracks that she can replay later or share with her buddies.

Here's what my buddy said:
She can go with Ableton with and APC20 or an entry level Akai MPD-26. It's all about if she wants to make beats, or produce tracks, or what. The APC20 + Ableton def sounds like something she'd have to learn to get good at. If she want's to do Swedish House Mafia stuff, the dad can always just get an Akai LPK25 USB keyboard and pair it with ProTools. That usually get's the job done with making beats. FL10 is good for producing too.

An APC20 is only $200 and I think you get a dumbed down version of Ableton with it. Should be good enough.

A DJ station is purely just to mix tracks back and forth, pretty much what you can do with Serato or Traktor. A Maschine might be too complicated now that I think about it.

denzil said:
fingerwrinkles said:

Here's what my buddy said:
She can go with Ableton with and APC20 or an entry level Akai MPD-26. It's all about if she wants to make beats, or produce tracks, or what. The APC20 + Ableton def sounds like something she'd have to learn to get good at. If she want's to do Swedish House Mafia stuff, the dad can always just get an Akai LPK25 USB keyboard and pair it with ProTools. That usually get's the job done with making beats. FL10 is good for producing too.

An APC20 is only $200 and I think you get a dumbed down version of Ableton with it. Should be good enough.

A DJ station is purely just to mix tracks back and forth, pretty much what you can do with Serato or Traktor. A Maschine might be too complicated now that I think about it.

You beat me to the punch. Spent 10 years doing that stuff, as a hobby, and a profession.

I'd get her Ableton and get her enrolled in a online class for it. It will show if she is serious, or just wants to dabble. If she is serious, Ableton will carry her for a LONG time.

She'll need to learn the nomenclature, electronica is an "uncool" term :)

For me, since I really don't make beats anymore, Traktor is all I need. If she ever wants to get into that side, http://www.native-instruments.com/

Feel free to hit me up via email Robin. I have a TON of friends that do this for a living :) They stuck with it when I got out, so they're pushing over 20 years in the biz.

Thanks guys ... MUCH appreciated! I definitely want to ease into this and not drop a ton of bucks, as many things at this age then to be white hot one month and "what, I never said I liked that" the next. She has had some longer term (9-12 months) interest in this and is the creative sort, so either we're at the back end of the interest curve or it is something that will stick a little longer.

John, let me do some research on the Garage Band option and I'll shoot you a PM if that seems of interest.

Kris, the iPhone keyboard option may be good as she absolutely lives with that device ... I think it may have actually grown into her and become permanent!

Gresh, I may take you up on your offer to shoot you a note for more info ... of course you do have to know though that the term "electronica" is purely from me ... she of course knows all the correct ways to reference this stuff :D

fingerwrinkles said:
Thanks guys ... MUCH appreciated! I definitely want to ease into this and not drop a ton of bucks, as many things at this age then to be white hot one month and "what, I never said I liked that" the next. She has had some longer term (9-12 months) interest in this and is the creative sort, so either we're at the back end of the interest curve or it is something that will stick a little longer.

John, let me do some research on the Garage Band option and I'll shoot you a PM if that seems of interest.

Kris, the iPhone keyboard option may be good as she absolutely lives with that device ... I think it may have actually grown into her and become permanent!

Gresh, I may take you up on your offer to shoot you a note for more info ... of course you do have to know though that the term "electronica" is purely from me ... she of course knows all the correct ways to reference this stuff :D

Garage Band: http://www.apple.com/ilife/garageband/
I think I still have it on my laptop and I'll be at Tony's talk next week if you want to take a look. I may no longer have it though, its not something I use (it was given to me). Traktor is all I use now. Pure digital mixing.

FWIW I can get decent discounts on plenty of gear so hit me up prior to purchase. The company I'd get it from is based in Oakland and they'd give you the same deal I'd get (can't post prices public, that low).

BAYMAC said:
fingerwrinkles said:

Garage Band: http://www.apple.com/ilife/garageband/
I think I still have it on my laptop and I'll be at Tony's talk next week if you want to take a look. I may no longer have it though, its not something I use (it was given to me). Traktor is all I use now. Pure digital mixing.

FWIW I can get decent discounts on plenty of gear so hit me up prior to purchase. The company I'd get it from is based in Oakland and they'd give you the same deal I'd get (can't post prices public, that low).

Hah, well, if I decide to get into another hobby (apparently I think I never have enough of them), I'll definitely hit you up!

Oh man, yah, I collect hobbies as well :lol:

That was one that went from hobby/passion to career.

Then my other hobby/passion (reefs) turned into my career.

I am so thankful I don't have a hobby like flag waving, I'd hate for that to turn into a career :p

BAYMAC said:
Oh man, yah, I collect hobbies as well :lol:

That was one that went from hobby/passion to career.

Then my other hobby/passion (reefs) turned into my career.

I am so thankful I don't have a hobby like flag waving, I'd hate for that to turn into a career :p

I used to be a corner worker for SCCA but that stay very interesting all that long. I think I'd much rather be the one doing the racing. :)

Hey Gresh, can you shoot me an email ... I'm not sure that the one I have is your current one, but if I'm in your address book mine hasn't changed for the past several years.

Thanks, Robin

BAYMAC said:
Feel free to hit me up via email Robin. I have a TON of friends that do this for a living :) They stuck with it when I got out, so they're pushing over 20 years in the biz.

My old ones still work, but I just shot you an email

Back