Reef nutrition

Padina Algae

Hey all-
I have this brown, fan like algae growing in my tank. I think i can ID it as PAdina Algae. Does anyone have any idea how to rid the tank of it? I've been picking it off the rock manually, and dont see that any of my critters in the tank touch the stuff. Any pointers would be great.

Thanks,

Reefergirl

acrefuge5.jpg

[Kingdom - Plantae - Reich] [Division - Brown Algae - Phaeophyta - Braunalgen - Abteilung] [Class - Phaeophyceae - Klasse] [Order - Dictyotales - Ordnung] [Family - Dictyotaceae - Familie]

will do. I'm charging my camera battery right now, and will take pics as soon as its fully charged. I'm hoping to have this done today. water parameters are normal, with the exception being that the nitrAte levels are a little high. we took down a 45 gallon truvu yesterday, and put almost all of the rocks and corals into my new 60 gallon truvu (already cycled completely), and added some purple up, and so the parameters last night were a little off. nitrates right now are at 40 ppm, nitrite is at 0, PH is at 7.5, KH is between 40-80 ppm. everything seems happy in the tank right now, all my corals are all opened up and are feeding, the fish in the tank are not stressed at all, but i know this brown algae crap just kept growing in my boyfriends 45 gallon, and i just want to see if there is a way to eradicate it, so it wont flourish in myh 60 gallon ;D. pictures to follow as soon as possible. thanks!

I've got turbo, nassarius, some huge snails that i dont know the name of, but they are at every LFS that i go to, a couple different kinds of hermits, everything i have in the tank right now is reef safe. i had an emerald crab in my biocube, but somehow he got eaten, and im reluctant to put one in the new tank. i have a brittlestar in my biocube, i could put him in the 60 gal if i knew hed eat that stuff. i had a nudi, but i havent seen him in a while, so im not sure hes around anymore. things like to hide in my tanks :)

no herbivorious fish?

Phong, you don't want it if you have any corals. It tends to smother stuff very fast. Some tangs (Naso I know for sure) like to munch on it, as do a few nudibranchs (that are not in the trade so don't go that route).

i only have two fish in the tank at this time. just a black clownfish, and an orange ocelaris clownfish. in my biocube, i have a watchman goby, but im not sure if hes herbivore? i could put him in the 60 gallon. i wouldnt mind putting a tang in the tank... ultimately what i want to use the 60 gallon for, is a prop tank, and i really hadnt thought of putting much of the live rock in the tank, but when we put it all in there, to take down and clean the 45 gallon, the rock looked super nice in the tank, so i guess, im just going to keep growing zoas all over the rocks, and add more to the tank and then frag out the colonies. pictures coming soon, battery is almost done charging!

The algae problem is in the 60g correct? I'd imagine a spot foxface would eat it like hot spagetti, plus they don't get too huge like their counterparts.

the algae problem was ON the live rock that we transferred from the 45 gal to the 60 gal. i got the pics, trying to make them small enough to add onto here. we took most of the algae off, so there isnt much left in the tank, so i took pics of what i could see. lets see if this works. im attempting to attach a picture of the algae, and of the 60 gal tank that we put the rock in.

is it just on that rock? If so you could scrub that rock very good then apply super glue on top of that arae. Or you could smother it with kalk paste. It's in an early enough stage you shouldn't have much of a hard time getting rid of it :)

no its on a few other rocks too. it was all fanned out, but we took it off. super glue?? that is awesome. ill try it for sure! thanks for the great suggestions. that wont kill the coralline algae on it either?

If you cover up the coralline as well it'll die :( The thing is though, you'd be far better off with out the algae and loosing a little bit of coralline then keeping all the coralline and having the algae. Coralline will become your plague soon enough, don't worry :D

haha i understand, its taken control of my biocube. i just scraped a bunch off the glass. its really nice though, and makes my tank look healthy and colorful. how big is your tank? We have 4 saltwater and 1 29 gal freshwater. a 29 gal biocube, a 55 gal bowfront, the 45 gal truvu and the 60 gal truvu. i love our tanks. im obsessed with the hobby, and have much more to learn!!

I'm embarrassed to say I am down to two 30g tanks...one is a straight prop tank and the other is a modified display tank/prop tank. I have so many new/unsed tanks/gear I could start a few stores..NO JOKE :)

oh sweet! Time to go to Gresham's "pick-n-save"!!!

I am down to 3 tanks (1 in use) and maybe a dozen different light setups (manufactured + DIY + DIY experimental)

Back