Cali Kid Corals

Paint to Seal Built-In Cabinet Drywall?

Dyngoe

Supporting Member
Hi All,

I'm in the process of updating my 120 in-wall aquarium and one thing I need to fix is the drywall. Too much moisture built up in the cabinet over the years and mold started to grow. It spans between my garage and living room with cabinet doors outside and a wall frame inside. First off, I did not use mold-resistent board last time and will this time. The next step is looking for a good interior paint to seal everything a bit better.
So....
Any suggestions on wall paint for an in-wall cabinet like this?

Thanks.

I've thought about a thin ABS or PVC sheet liner but there are multiple angles and corners. I'm looking at quite a complex bit of plastic lining. I'm sure there's an epoxy I could use to seal this like a pond liners, but I was hoping someone had experience with a one-part paint that works (preferably in white).

Screenshot 2023-06-13 at 3.17.02 PM.png

I use this or similar on my aluminum rail.

There's a paint additive that "kills" mold and can be added with ease; just wear gloves and label the leftover paint properly; can't recall the name of it but it's at the paint section of HD, Lowe's, Sherwin Williams and many others.

There's a paint additive that "kills" mold and can be added with ease; just wear gloves and label the leftover paint properly; can't recall the name of it but it's at the paint section of HD, Lowe's, Sherwin Williams and many others.
I think it’s called killz

My uneducated answer would be bathroom paint. There's paint designed for bathroom use, especially the ceiling, for exactly these reasons. No idea if it's designed for sustained moisture, but may be a good topic to use when researching.

Here's ChatGPT's answer to "What type of paint or wall covering would you use next to a marine aquarium in a contained, low air flow, environment"

When considering a paint or wall covering next to a marine aquarium in a contained, low airflow environment, you would need to consider the high humidity and potential for splashing that might occur. Here are some suggestions:

1. **Semi-gloss or High-gloss Paint:** These types of paint are ideal for areas exposed to moisture and humidity because they are easier to clean and more resistant to the effects of moisture than other types of paint.

2. **Bathroom or Kitchen Paint:** Some paint manufacturers produce paints specifically for bathrooms and kitchens. These are typically formulated to resist moisture, mold, and mildew, making them ideal for high-humidity environments.

3. **Marine Paint:** Marine paint is designed to withstand extreme weather conditions and saltwater, making it an even more durable option for a marine aquarium setting.

4. **Vinyl Wallpaper:** This type of wall covering is water-resistant and durable, making it ideal for high-humidity areas. However, it can be harder to apply and remove than paint.

5. **Tile:** While not a paint or traditional wall covering, tile is a durable, water-resistant option. It can also add to the aesthetic appeal of the aquarium setting. You would just need to make sure to use a grout that is also water-resistant.

Regardless of the option you choose, make sure to prepare your wall correctly before applying the new paint or wall covering. This might include cleaning the wall, removing old paint or wallpaper, and priming the surface. You might also want to consider using a mold and mildew resistant primer, especially if the area experiences high humidity.

Another option is elastomer paint. It’s super thick and definitely waterproof. Not that expensive for a small area. Painting the entire house exterior is another story.

Back