Cali Kid Corals

Painting Acrylic Tanks?

99sf

For my 150-gallon upgrade project, I am trying to decide what to do about the back of the acrylic tank. Here are the photos of the tank & stand currently:Upgrade Page

Am debating painting the back with a cobalt blue color all-surface spraypaint. I used this paint for my 29-gallon glass office tank, and it looks nice. Any suggestions (besides taping paper over any entrances to the tank and using several light coats of paint) about this painting method for acrylic? I am also considering using this paint to paint the bottom inside of the stand, which currently shows water damage and is uncoated.

The previous owner had a standard black sheet of laminated aquarium paper taped to the back of the tank. The disadvantages of that method: water can slip between the back acrylic & the backing, and the tape leaves residue behind that makes the next polish more difficult. Advantages: the paper can be replaced during upgrades/ re-aquascaping.

Would like to hear members' thoughts about these two options.

Spray it with Krylon Fusion (best for plastic).

I prefer painting myself but some of the newer nylon backgrounds that use that static cling adhesive are great as well and require no tape.

How about water based latex? if needed you can take it off?
Krylon will bond to plastic nicely.
Joyce (tapmorf) had a false black back on her tank, a thin piece of plexi will do it, fastened with velcro or if you don't need to remove it some good tape coast to coast to prevent water from going between the sheets.

I have an acrylic tank that I spray painted the back using blue Krylon Fusion. It has been a few years now, but it has held up just fine. I should still have some if you want to use it.

I'm not sure about spray painting the inside bottom of the tank with Fusion - but I have heard anecdotal evidence of people who have painted plumbing inside their tanks with it and have not had any issues.

Of course, a false back/false bottom would also be easier to remove/replace.

The acrylic bottom of my tank is currently painted black with Krylon fusion (gloss for the bottom). The underside of the tank as well as the back side of the tank are also painted black with Krylon fusion (satin). The plumbing inside the tank and outside are also painted.

Thank you for the feedback. OK, it definitely sounds like Krylon is the recommended paint brand. The sheet of colored acrylic with velcro was a good idea. But I went to Tap Plastics this morning and got a quote for 1/8 black acrylic, cut to 60 inches by 24 inches... the quote was $56 before tax. Looked for Krylon at Home Depot, but the store I visited did not carry it. Will have to call around to see where to find it in the east bay.

Look for it at Walmart instead. I couldn't find it at OSH/HD/Lowe's. Someone told me that it could be an exclusive only available to Walmart. Found it at two different Walmarts so far.

Ibn said:
Look for it at Walmart instead. I couldn't find it at OSH/HD/Lowe's. Someone told me that it could be an exclusive only available to Walmart. Found it at two different Walmarts so far.
not true

I wanna say I got it as OSH down here in Capitola. It could have been ACE. I know I had to try several places :(

I almost had to break my anti-Walmart shopping vow to get this rare paint. Actually, I checked with two other Home Depot stores (Emeryville & El Cerrito) and learned that they only carry Rust-oleum. But the ACE store in Lafayette carries Krylon. First, I had to buy Weld-on, only carried at Tap, and now I have to buy Krylon, primarily found at Walmart! :~

But I still have to go back to Home Depot. Someone mentioned placing a sheet of styrofoam underneath the sump to avoid heat loss. I think I will also place a sheet of styrofoam under the display tank. Unfortunately, ACE doesn't carry styrofoam sheets. Have you guys ever painted styrofoam?

You ca not spray paint Styrofoam as it'll just melt it away into nothing. You can paint with latex though.

Not sure what makes it bond so well, but MEK does make sense (nasty stuff)

Back