Our mission

PAR Readings

[quote author=vapormd link=topic=3963.msg47181#msg47181 date=1214412229]
Gresham,

Which mode do you usually use, sunlight or electric. I know it probably doesn't matter as long as you stick with one, but I'm just curious.

Agreed, depth and relationship to the bulb are vital to seeing how a bulb or reflector performs.

Anyone - did you mount the probe to something to hold it in a fixed spot underwater?

[/quote]

Probe is mounted on a device I made :)

Sunlight for outdoors, electric for indoor lighting. Not sure why you'd use a sunlight setting on an electronic bulb. There is a reason why they offer two separate calibrations like that ;)

No I hear you Brian. I also read with more radiation, higher circulation is required to remove the increased oxygen production from higher photosynthesis rates. I think my flow is pretty decent but maybe I'm wrong.

I have about 8500 gph in my 87g provided by 6 Tunzes and two MJ Mods and a Snapper return on an OMSS. That's almost 100x turnover. But that's just quantity, I don't know what is meant by quality.

[quote author=seminolecpa link=topic=3963.msg47193#msg47193 date=1214413940]
Not to steer this a completely different direction, but I recall in Jake Adam's presentation at our meeting him saying that the ability of a coral to use light was somehow related to the quality not quantity of flow. Perhaps you don't have enough quality flow to support that much par. Just a thought I could be totally off base.
[/quote]

That's not what I walked away thinking after hearing his talk 4 times :) The more water you move the greater it can respire...to a degree. Remember the graphs ;)

According to the article, the sunlight calibration matched the aquarium lighting profile beter than the electric calibration mode. I don't think there is much of a difference between the two. What differences do you notice when you switch between modes?

Again I could (and likely am) just rambling, I was selling raffle tickets and off to the side during the talk if you heard it 4 times I am sure you are much more versed in it then me. I could swear though there was some graph with a relationship between light intensity and flow whereby with lower flow the absorption rate decreased significantly. Do you recall what I am talking about. I may just be either mixing things up or missing a part.

You may be right. I never thought of it that way. Maybe I have too much direct flow. I wish I could have made it to that lecture. Maybe too much flow doesn't allow the proper gas exchange. I've been thinking about doing a surge tank but my wife might kill me with all the noise.

[quote author=seminolecpa link=topic=3963.msg47206#msg47206 date=1214415429]
Again I could (and likely am) just rambling, I was selling raffle tickets and off to the side during the talk if you heard it 4 times I am sure you are much more versed in it then me. I could swear though there was some graph with a relationship between light intensity and flow whereby with lower flow the absorption rate decreased significantly. Do you recall what I am talking about. I may just be either mixing things up or missing a part.
[/quote]

I remember something to that effect. The higher the flow the more light the coral could actually make use of.

That is correct. More light= more photosynthesis, but you need to be able to get keep up with the required gas exchange.

Sorta like bigger tank, more water holding capacity, but you actually need the water to fill the tank.

Bryan,

I do recall that, but can you tell me what that has to do with "quality vs. quantity"? higher the flow, the more it respired and was able to make use of more light.

To quote Jake, "depending on the coral, you can never have too much flow."

I wonder if there is a saturation point for flow. Just like theres a saturation point for light and photosynthesis where increasing the light at that point actually reduces photosynthesis.

In other words is there a point where increase flow decreases gas exchange? I would think it's possible. The currect in the ocean is much different than that provided by powerheads. The waves wash away the water periodically. But between these washes, the corals probably can absorb some CO2 but if the water is moving too fast can this decrese the efficiency?

I have no basis for my points so don't take it as fact. I'm just wondering.

Nope. Increase in flow will only reach a steady state in gas exchange. I cannot think of a diffusion mechanism to cause inhibition. However, you can hit flow rates that are tissue damaging.

If someone is down wind of you, and you let out a really bad fart, can the wind blow so fast that the smell starts getting worse instead of dissipating faster?

The current alone on most reefs is stronger the ANYTHING we can replicate ;) Now add the wave action on top of that. Some of the coral reef currents are so strong you can't swim against them, nor can many boats even break free of them.

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=3963.msg47218#msg47218 date=1214418627]
Nope. Increase in flow will only reach a steady state in gas exchange. I cannot think of a diffusion mechanism to cause inhibition. However, you can hit flow rates that are tissue damaging.

If someone is down wind of you, and you let out a really bad fart, can the wind blow so fast that the smell starts getting worse instead of dissipating faster?
[/quote]

I do not think I will sign up for any of your experiments anytime soon and if I do, I'm the one letting them :D

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=3963.msg47220#msg47220 date=1214419875]
The current alone on most reefs is stronger the ANYTHING we can replicate ;) Now add the wave action on top of that. Some of the coral reef currents are so strong you can't swim against them, nor can many boats even break free of them.
[/quote]

Not sure if I agree. I can tear flesh off corals with the current I can generate with the vortech in reefcrest mode (high current wave crashing effect). What is the linear velocity of a reef? That is the real number for current matching, not the water mass moving capacity which we have issues with.

I doubt said corals where from areas with such strong activity then ;) Do you think you little pump can generate the power of a 5 foot wave? I doubt it would even come close to a 2' wave. We keep a mix of corals that typically aren't found in the same conditions, areas, flow conditions, etc. Test your theory on ones that come from such areas, like porites. My 10 yr ol colony of porites has been in front of PH's since I bought it. The current stream on full blast doesn't even make a polyp close, let alone strip any flesh. Put my millie there and flesh gets stripped ;)

You are mixing up energy with linear velocity. It takes little energy to move 1gallon of water 5 MPH. It takes a ton of energy to move 100g of water 5mph.

Yeah I kind of see what Tony is saying. I bet the velocity of the water immediately in front of a vortec at full blast is pretty damm fast.

well don't take my word for it then, ask the "pro's". Much of what I am saying has been "passed" down to me, it's not something I am making up ;)

[quote author=iani link=topic=3963.msg47228#msg47228 date=1214422258]
Yeah I kind of see what Tony is saying. I bet the velocity of the water immediately in front of a vortec at full blast is pretty damm fast.
[/quote]

And the pumps were not design to have corals right in front of them. The pump was designed to move massive amounts of water thru out the tank, not to create localized blasts like the common PH.

Again, swim a reef in Bali, PNG, etc and then telll me your pumps are moving that much water on such a constant basis.

It appears Jake needs to come back out as most of what we're talking about was coverred and details given ;)

Back