Reef nutrition

PE Mysis - Not their favorite food? - What does everyone feed? (Updated)

Alexander1312

Supporting Member
We have been feeding various rods food, spirulina brime, PE Mysis, TDOs in various sizes, and seaweed. From all the food, it looks like none of the fish except the clowns eat this really. Is this normal? We do add stuff to frozen food such as garlic, vitamins and/or selcon every time. I would not buy this anymore unless I still should. Thoughts?

IMG_1413.jpeg

I never really understood why people feed mysis. I understand it’s filled with vitamins and whatnot. it’s a freshwater creature. If you go by the idea of feed what is in the wild. Our fish would never run across mysis. Just doesn’t make sense to me but people swear by it.

I never really understood why people feed mysis. I understand it’s filled with vitamins and whatnot. it’s a freshwater creature. If you go by the idea of feed what is in the wild. Our fish would never run across mysis. Just doesn’t make sense to me but people swear by it.
And I only realized this today that this was freshwater….

It’s bigger and better than brine which I don’t think they would find on a reef either

It’s bigger and better than brine which I don’t think they would find on a reef either
Another one that I don’t get but I understand it a little more. Since Brine is brackish water so yeah very few saltwater fish would eat that in the wild. From what I understand, Only baby brine has nutrients. Adults don’t have as much. It was explained to me as brine is like feeding your fish candy. They like it but doesn’t have too much nutritional value. It’s more of a treat. Makes me wonder if these ideas are outdated from the 50-60’s.

My fish are really picky in cycles. They will eat about anything but not if it is fed continuously. They have eaten every brand of nori from lsf, Asian markets, brs. But they have decided they are not eating every brand on some days. Same with flakes pellets and frozen. Now I have 10-20 brands of pellets, 5 brands of flakes, chopped up nori, freeze dried mysis and calamus, reef jerky, and some coral food fed through a avast marine plank every 2 hours for 1.5 minutes. Sometimes they like what comes out sometimes not so much. I do 2 additional feedings of frozen a day which they are just as picky. I have cycles through all the LFS frozen and everything from the Asian market. They quit eating shrimp a few months ago. I keep trying different types. They follow the same pattern with the algae growing in the aquarium. Sometimes it's fine to eat the bubble/hair/whatever other times they will not touch it. PE mysis for the most part they won't eat and it causes my skimmer to flow more. But I offer it from time to time when they quit eating the other stuff.

I just recently picked up a pack of that PE mysis, it is indeed a much larger shrimp. I've also been using the Omega One frozen mysis. The biggest difference that I understand with the PE is that it has a significantly higher protein content, which is where all the oil is coming from. The Hikari, Omega One varieties have been washed and packed with more moisture.

Although it isn't a natural prey item, it is a sustainable food item and inexpensive to farm and harvest. That's my understanding of the research I've done.

I only have a few fish and corals. But I tend to change it up. I soak everything in live phyto to start. I have also been trying the SeaChem amino formula. I switch between various pellets, with RN TDO being my primary. I also change it up with variety of coral powders too. Then I drop in mysis to thaw out.

I hope this isn't a hijack, but I think it's on topic because of the "what does everyone feed" comment.

Is there any proof Selcon is more than snake oil? It has all the hallmarks of snake oil, similar to how garlic enriched does. Is there any real research showing it does anything?

In non freeze dried food, I find it difficult to believe much is absorbed. In any food I'm wondering if there are real nutritional gaps it'd absorb. Part of the reason I say this is it seems to be referred to with a mystical aura, which triggers my alarms. Part of it because in humans I believe multi vitamins also have no proof of mattering, and can be detrimental, unless you have a specific extreme deficiency.

CC'ing @JVU since this question seems right up his wheelhouse.

On the original question, I haven't had issues with fish and mysis. It seems meaty, my fish have always ate it, and it's easy to use as a lps food. I prefer the bigger kind for the same reasons, though I hate cube food. Seems very wasteful with packaging, and I usually want the chunks broken into different sizes anyway.

I have soaked
I have not soaked
The main thing is HQ variety
And variety within the feeding
No one food has “everything”
But if you feed everything, you will feed everything

My fish are old, healthy and the pairs spawn
I’m a fan of Erin’s thinking when it comes to food. Throw the kitchen sink at it. His fish are super healthy and old. They don’t get that way by doing something wrong.

Back