Reef nutrition

Pink Hippo Zoa Recovery Photo Tracking

Contrary to popular belief, some zoanthids/palythoas are hard to keep alive in our reef aquariums. Common causes for zoanthid death include: excessive light intensity, excessive flow, alkalinity swings, pH swings, and more.

Sometimes they just CLOSE and melt for no god damn reason >.<

I put this 4 Polyp Frag of Pink Hippo Zoa at the bottom of my tank for about 3 weeks and one day it just closed. It stayed closed for a long period of time to the point where lack of photosynthesis/food capture was a concern.

pinkhippox_1024x1024.jpg

A healthy frag of Pink Hippos.

I moved the frag to the corner of my frag tank, which is plumbed to the same display tank. So same tank different location. I'm attributing the recovery to lower light intensities.

It was in my frag tank for about 2 weeks and then one day it just decided to open.

IMG_0818.jpg

9/28/2015 The polyps was ugly and discolored at first. There are also 2 closed polyps in this picture.

IMG_0832.jpg

9/30/2015 Starting to see a faint hint of green.

IMG_0943.jpg

10/7/2015 Yay the pink and green colors are coming back on both polyps. The 2 closed polyps have melted :(! Skirts are regenerating and getting longer.

IMG_0947.jpg

10/08/2015 Colors getting better.

IMG_0975.jpg

10/12/2015 Pink and green colors are intensifying. Skirts are getting longer. Noticeable regeneration of lower skirt.

Will post more pictures in the next week or two.

Last edited:
Back