got ethical husbandry?

Planning Ahead

I have a pair of SI percs that are 1.5" (female) and .75" (male) in my 14g BioCube. It will only be 18 months or so before they're fully grown, and when they are fully grown they'll be about 3"-3.5" (female) and 1"-1.5" (male). I'm going to set up a tank in 3 months (probably the 29g BioCube HQI) and I'm trying to plan out the stock list. Will the SI percs in the 14g eventually outgrow the tank? If so, I would put them in the new tank that I'm getting by themselves (or with a goby friend) and I would find some other fishies to put in the 14g.

If they are anything like my clowns they would be happy in a glass of water. They are not real active swimmers and if they have an anemone or other "host" I think they will be ok in the 14g. Just ensure the stocking and bio load is suitable for the tank.

If I choose to leave them in my 14g, should they be in there with just themselves or is it OK to add a goby like a Yasha or a Mandarin?

I'd definitely avoid putting a mandarin (or scooter) in a 14g. Small watchman-type gobies (yellow, yasha, high-fin, etc) would probably be OK with one. Are you planning to upgrade tanks, or just adding another one to your collection?

By the way, if your percs are anything like other one's I've seen, the male will probably get larger than 1.5" IME/IMO. I'd say my pair are something like 2.5"/3.5" m/f

phishphood said:
I'd definitely avoid putting a mandarin (or scooter) in a 14g. Small watchman-type gobies (yellow, yasha, high-fin, etc) would probably be OK with one. Are you planning to upgrade tanks, or just adding another one to your collection?

By the way, if your percs are anything like other one's I've seen, the male will probably get larger than 1.5" IME/IMO. I'd say my pair are something like 2.5"/3.5" m/f

I'm adding another tank to the collection. And if I got a mandarin I would get an ORA one since they can eat frozen food because I'm worried my tanks might not be able to support a large enough copepod population for it. If my clowns are going to get that big, will they be able to coexist with a goby in the 14g with them or would they be overcrowded?

ORA or not, I'd say the 14g wouldn't be good for the mandarin based on it's constant feeding needs (IIRC). I'd be afraid that the constant addition of food would be a little much for the tank. The clowns would probably be OK in the tank with a smallish ground-dwelling goby as long as they're not too aggressive/it's not too scared to feed.

phishphood said:
ORA or not, I'd say the 14g wouldn't be good for the mandarin based on it's constant feeding needs (IIRC). I'd be afraid that the constant addition of food would be a little much for the tank. The clowns would probably be OK in the tank with a smallish ground-dwelling goby as long as they're not too aggressive/it's not too scared to feed.

I may or may not move them into the tank I'm planning to get, but if I don't then I will wait a while until I see how big/aggressive my clownfish will get before I consider a goby. Thank you for your help. :)

No problem, just remember I'm just one person with one person's experience/opinion. Always helps to read, esp the number of different experiences on WWM if no one else chimes in here.

And thanks for asking the questions ahead of time Matthew. :)

Back