Plasma light

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by psionicdragon, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Thales

Thales Past President

I had the same light being used for the study over the filefish tank..the color was odd and the corals seemed to react oddly to it after 1 day. Since it looked strange and the animals were on display, I removed it.

I did talk to the Plasma people at Reefstock and offered to put their lights over my home reef. They suggested I wait for the new configuration and new color.

2. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Color aside, can you define "oddly"? Did they (coral) retract? Spill their guts out? Over inflate? etc etc?

3. Was wondering how good they are, how much electricity that actually use (different place gave me different energy input), the spread of the light, and etc.

Was thinking about doing a DIY with the lumenarc, but not sure if the light is sticking out of the socket or if it is rested inside where it wouldn't reflect as well.

4. Also, what the coloration is :p and how much par is loss if reduced to 50%

5. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

The new ones have a built in reflector actually made for them. an LAIII or mini would be a waste of your money.

6. Do you know how good the spread is?

7. jestersix

jestersix Sponsor

FWIW, I have two of the Beta versions from Stray Light and will be installing on a new 150 gallon build. I'll be starting a build thread soon...

8. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

What version of beta? They've had several :)

9. jestersix

jestersix Sponsor

It is the last pre-production Beta. I didn't want to wait for production...LOL