Reef nutrition

Plumbing: 1/2" NPT to 3/4" hose fitting and plumbing a barbed return?

Hi there,

2 plumbing questions actually:

1) My tank that I'm trying to put together looks like it has a 3/4" return hose (sending water back to the tank). The old pump that came with it had a 3/4" fitting, but I purchased a Mag 7 for the return pump which has a 1/2" thread. So, now I'm looking for either a fitting that has a 3/4" hosebarb and a 1/2" FPT or some sort of 3/4" to 1/2" reducer. I looked at home depot, and maybe I just missed it, but I couldn't seem to find the right fitting. Anyone know somewhere in SF that I can pick something up?

2) The return from the tank looks like it has a hosebarb end under the tank that's 1" or 1 1/2". My question, looking at pics of a lot of plumbing examples, it seems like a lot of folks plumb their returns with pipes vs. flexible tubing. What are the pros and cons of pipe vs. flexible tubing? If I wanted to plumb the return, how would I hook it up to the barb end?

Thanks,
George

Flex can't make sharp turns like a 90 degree pipe. (not that you want any)
You may need to use a section of flex tubing and another hose barb fitting to convert to pipe.
Try the Urban Farmer Store 40th Ave in the Sunset, 2833 Vicente or the new Lowes on Bayshore.

OSH has a decent set of hose barb fittings. Usually next to standard PVC fittings.
I only found the white nylon fittings at Lowes + Home depot, and those are actually smaller - avoid them!

The inside of a hose barb fititng is somewhat smaller, so a 3/4" hose on a 1/2" pipe is a good idea.
You will likely not find that fitting though, so go from 1/2 -> 3/4, using standard PVC fitting, then
get a 3/4 hose barb fitting.

Don't forget the hose clamps, or they will leak.

I prefer mostly solid plumbing. Never leaks, strong, cheaper.
But I have a lot of flex tubing where things move, bend oddly, or may change.

EDIT: The OSH stores I have seen are Fremont+Union city. Both have fittings, but no idea about SF.

Back