Reef nutrition

PVC pipe question

Hi all,

I bought a used 40 gallon for a fuge. Unfortunately, it has a 1" connector attached to a bulkhead that I don't plan on using. I was wondering what the best way is for sealing off this connector. It's a male adapter, so I bought a female cap for it and it fits. I'm just not sure if I should seal it with PVC cement or use some sort of glue.

Thanks!

Mike

A cap should work fine if it's on the inside. But if you're capping on the outside (under water), I'd be a cautious if it's not a threaded connection. That cap could pop off from the water pressure.

I'm going to have to cap it from the outside :(. The good news is that it is threaded. I guess one other option is to block off the bulkhead from the inside with a piece of acrylic?

I think a cap with teflon would be the best option, its temporary but not, and in case the tank has another use in the future their isn't a permanent fix in place.

I agree with Jay..

If you worry, put another pipe with the cap inside(don't glue the pipe...just shove it there). That will help with the water pressure. I think the cap outside alone would be fine.

Or put the cap on the outside and FILL the inside part with silicon. You can cut the silicon out later if you decide you want to use it as an outlet/inlet.

V

Back