Jestersix

Quarantine Tank help!!

Hi Fellow Bar's .. Noticed I have a Ich outbreak in my tank.
So need to remove the fish and treat them. I do have a 50 gal tank I can use as a hospital tank .. but my problem is, I don't have any active filter media to prevent ammonia becoming an issue. I am not sure but I don't beleive those ammonia removal media would be a good idea for this?? And would probably get expensive running them for six or 8 weeks, waiting for my tank to become clear of ich.
May plan was to run the 50 gal with a old combo filter/skimmer I have .. and a power head to help with water flow. Just hoping someone in my area (live in Antioch, work in Oakland) would have some type of established filter media I could use in that filter that would be enough to maintain a fifty gal tank???? Or any sujestions on how to do this?? Thanks!! and hope someone can help me out.
Dave

Anyone know how long it takes for nitrifing bactieria to develope on a newly added surface? I did lose one fish yesterday (was covered pretty bad with ich) one other fish has some spots, but is still acting normal. Wondered if I would have time to put some foam or something in my tank to create a filter media for the hospital tank??
thanks

If the fish look like I will have time, I will use Hyposalinity (1.010 SG)
Will have to leave my DT fishless for 6 to 8 weeks anyway.
If they are real bad by the time I get them into the tank .. then I am thinking I should try something faster .. copper maybe?? I am just not to sure about using it, as I hear about a lot of people killing there fish treating with copper.
I just need to figuar out how to make them survive the non cycled treatment tank.
I don't have nothing in my DT to move over there for filteration.

You can use something like AmmoLock or Prime to "detoxify" ammonia. That will certainly help. Most importantly, though, do frequent large water changes.

Usually with an uncycled tank I would also suggest putting some macro algae in the QT tank since algae can use ammonia directly. In my experience, however, macros don't do well in low salinity. If you treat with copper that might be an option, though.

Another thing about hyposalinity... be sure to buffer the water up to normal saltwater alkalinity to keep the pH from going whack. That doesn't seem to be mentioned in a lot of web pages about hyposalinity but it's really important.

PS. Fish can go very quickly from high salinity to low salinity. They require a lot less energy in low salinity because they don't have to work so hard to keep the salt out of their bodies. If they're in bad shape, getting them into hyposalinity asap is a good idea. When going from low salinity to high salinity, however, be sure to take your time.

Hello .. And thank you for the replies! I really like the macro idea. I hate to ask, but anyone trimming there macro's?? Guess it wouldn't matter what kind, as would just be in the treatment tank.
I filled the tank last night, and will hopefully catch the fish tonight. Not looking forward to that. I do have a fish trap, but will have to see how well it works??
Thanks Again
Dave

You could try a freshwater dip to knock off some of the parasites before you put them in quarantine. Make sure you buffer, aerate the water, and watch the fish for signs of stress. Don't forget to dechlorinate. You could also add a little methelyn blue to the water to improve gill function. Recommended times vary per fish, from a few seconds to minutes +. I can't stress how important it is to watch the fish. I killed a small damsel once because I followed the recommended time in the book I had read. Well, every fish reacts differently to the treatment. I have had no losses since, and dip before I move fish to different aquaria. If the fish lays on its side, take it out. They pop backup quickly.

If you are afraid of copper, you could try looking up a company called National Fish Pharmaceuticals. They have a product called Crypto-Pro indicated for Ich. I have used another product of theirs and liked it. However, I have used copper (Cupramine) with success in the past. Get a copper test kit.

I second pixelpixie, water changes are important, even when medicating. Change the water and adjust medication levels accordingly.

If you get desperate for some macro algae, I have Chaetomorpha you could have, but I live in San Ramon.

Best wishes to you and your fish.

Hi lyn .. Thank you for the info, and yes I do have two clowns.
I may take you up on the macro offer .. unless someone closer to home or work
offers to help. I just know that if I tried to buy enough to make a differance at a LFS they would charge me an arm and a leg.
Will wait a bit and see what happens and I do thank you either way.
Dave

OK Dave, I'l l set aside some Chaeto in a holding tank for you just in case... I need to remove some anyway. It is clogging up my tank. They tend to be chock full of stuff...snails, amphipods, sponges, etc. So if you medicate or use low salinity, you will want to wash that stuff out in fresh salt water before use so it doesn't contribute to an ammonia spike when they die. (You could keep the critters, they are quite beneficial and not prone to ick). Speaking of critters, do you have any cleaner shrimp or cleaner gobies? They seem to help a bit. (The gobies might get ick too though, since you already have it.)

An alternative for you would be to buy a cheap sponge-type filter and hook it up to an air pump or power head. In your 50 gal, you might need a couple. It will still take time to cycle, but then you'll have it for the future. I have had to quarantine for 2 months before, while waiting out a Velvet plague. Remember that if you medicate, any equipment you use cannot be used for inverts. Be patient, change the water often, be patient some more... and let me know if you'd like the chaeto. PM me. Between saltwatersig and I , you just might have enough. :)

I'm not sure you can use chaeto if you're doing hyposalinity. (though copper will kill pods and things too, so washing it in saltwater is still a good idea). I haven't actually tried hyposalinity with chaeto, but when I did it with some other random bits of macro algae they all turned extremely pale and I doubt they were growing and using nutrients.

If you try it anyway, let us know how it goes. I'm curious!

Hi Pixelpixi ... I do want to try the cheato, as I think it will help if it can survive.
Will post back here when I find out.
Also not sure about the water changes?? treatment tank will be a 4 ft 50 gal tank, with 3 small fish (aprox 2" ) and one medium fish (aprox 5" )
am wondering how much and how often should I change??

[quote author=OakRaid link=topic=4580.msg55931#msg55931 date=1221685785]
am wondering how much and how often should I change??
[/quote]

Just test for ammonia and do water changes enough to keep it at reasonable levels.

Stopped by Saltwatersig's after work today and picked up a very generous
portion of cheato .... And what a fantastic tank!! Was very impressed.
So wanted to publicly that him for the cheato, and also the nice corals he gave me!
These were not frags. So very generous guy, and really appreciated his help.
Dave

thanks for the kind words dave, but i think most of the members here would have done the same for someone in need of help. my only advantage was location :D

sergio

i recently lost all my tangs in a 45 gallon Qt tank from doing cupramine. They were breathing really hard then died within a day. I am not sure if the seachem test kit is accurate or not i got a red sea test kitto compare form now on.

Ouch! Sorry for your loss. It may or may not have been the Cupramine. Depending on the disease and its' severity, and how far gone your fish were. There are many factors, including stress of being caught, moved to QT tank, etc. Of course, the medicine adds stress too.

I find tangs to be a nervous fish; at least mine are compared to the other non-tang species I have. Did you have other fish in quarantine and medicated too? Did they survive?

Back