Neptune Aquatics

Quite pumps?

So right now I have a Rio 20hf return pump. The noise from this pump is killing me, the tank is right next to the couch. I'm looking for recommendations for a quite and energy efficient pump.

Oceanrunners are quiet and so are Quietones, Eheims are super duper quiet though, if I have to setup a tank in a bedroom or office i use the Eheim.

Quietone ain't so quiet. Got Quietone 9000 running now and it sounds like a train. Mag pumps are more quiet.

To steer back to the MAG pump... I have found them to be more compact and more powerful and more gph to $$ than the Eheim. Elite is right on the heat... but I have found it managable.

that's why you are getting a chiller :D j/k

Mag pump on a big tank is fine. I used it before and like it. For small tank, you won't need heater ;D ..

Mags are pretty solid pumps. I use a Mag 18 for my return and have been using Mags for a long time. That said I would have gone for the quieter and more energy efficient eheim if it would have been able to push through the head going up into the house from the garage. Definately echo the heat thing though with the mags. Make a great mixer for water with the heat.

[quote author=seminolecpa link=topic=5844.msg73292#msg73292 date=1231396277]
Mags are pretty solid pumps. I use a Mag 18 for my return and have been using Mags for a long time. That said I would have gone for the quieter and more energy efficient eheim if it would have been able to push through the head going up into the house from the garage. Definately echo the heat thing though with the mags. Make a great mixer for water with the heat.
[/quote]

I have a Mag 12 in a 30g rubbermaid where I mix salt water and then use to pump water into the tank during a water change. It does make a fair heater to ;)

Wow, a Mag 12 for mixing water. You don't mess around. I use a Mag 3 for my water, a Mag 7 to run through my chiller to my fuge and temp tank and a Mag 18 to feed the main tank. I will say my calcium reactor had a eheim pump and I it was so quiet I had to occasionally check to see if it was on.

Thanks guys for the great input.

I'm going to go with the Eheim. Plus I don't have a chiller and am worried about the heat.

What size would you say for my 90Gal?

The Eheim 1262 is the largest I am aware of since this is going in a 90g tank. It is a 900gph pump at a typical cost of $140. The equivelant Mag 9.5 is a 950gph pump at a typical cost of $110. With typical head loss this will give you about 700-800gph at your return.

[quote author=seminolecpa link=topic=5844.msg73296#msg73296 date=1231396685]
Wow, a Mag 12 for mixing water. You don't mess around. I use a Mag 3 for my water, a Mag 7 to run through my chiller to my fuge and temp tank and a Mag 18 to feed the main tank. I will say my calcium reactor had a eheim pump and I it was so quiet I had to occasionally check to see if it was on.
[/quote]

lol... ya it's a beast. I had it laying around and it was the only one I had that could push water from the bottom of a rubbermaid up 6' into my tank with any speed. I have to keep it dialed back though. For mixing water it is great. This is what the water looks like when it's on while mixing saltwater. No undesolved salt can escape...

3179337914_326df2232a_o.jpg

[quote author=zambavi link=topic=5844.msg73267#msg73267 date=1231391600]
To steer back to the MAG pump... I have found them to be more compact and more powerful and more gph to $$ than the Eheim. Elite is right on the heat... but I have found it managable.
[/quote]

Mags last no where near as long as an Eheim. I have gone through a dozen or so Mag7's and more then a handful of 9.5's in the now 11 year old Eheim life time. No new impellers, no new nothing for it. Flawless pump. Still my return in fact. Two different classes of pumps all together.

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=5844.msg73326#msg73326 date=1231401986]
[quote author=zambavi link=topic=5844.msg73267#msg73267 date=1231391600]
[/quote]

Mags last no where near as long as an Eheim. I have gone through a dozen or so Mag7's and more then a handful of 9.5's in the now 11 year old Eheim life time. No new impellers, no new nothing for it. Flawless pump. Still my return in fact. Two different classes of pumps all together.
[/quote]

Can't compete with the years of experience... I've had my Mag 12 for the past 4 years without issue and going on 2 years with the Mag18. If they crap out on me anytime soon I'll take a look at the Eheims or find a way to do an external pump and just go with a Dart... cut down on PH's

Back