High Tide Aquatics

r0ck0's modern reef

Hello,

New member to BAR, I've been to two meetings and baymac, I think this is a great club and really like sharing ideas, tips and tricks. I'm a big believer in the ethical keeping of marine animals and captive raised animals. First time posting so I thought I would start with my tank build for my latest aquarium. My last tank was a 45 gallon oceanic cube that I built in '98. It was a sumpless reef with a tunze skimmer in a corner overflow with a magnum HOT used for a return from the overflow that held the skimmer. Here is a youtube video for that tank. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y30r0UmaqJ4

I have had a number of saltwater tanks going back to my first fish only saltwater tank with an undergravel filter in 92 or so. Then built some larger tanks with home made wet/dry filters. Finally settling on the Berlin method of reef aquariums, live rock, metal halide lights, surface skimmer, foam fractionator, GAC, kalkwasser, no mechanical filters. These types of tanks have always worked out well for me and are pretty easy to maintain. My first Berlin reef tank was with a 150w 5500k metal halide over a 20 gal tank with a sander's air driven counter current protein skimmer. It did very well but unfortunately I do not have any pics of any of my older tanks accept the one video of my last tank.

My current tank is a rimless 17 gallon ADA tank 24x12x17, its been set up since the end of March 2010. It is also sumpless with a deltec MCE 600 HOB skimmer with a surface skimmer mod, basically a 2" pipe that the intank sits in. Lighting is provided by a lumenarc mini 250w HQI ushiro 20k bulb. It has a vortec ecosmart wave maker, fluval 205 canister filter (empty, used as a settling filter) pumping water through the 1/10hp chiller, 40lbs live rock, 10lbs live sand. Temp is set at 77 and is controlled by an apex computer that also controls the dosing of kalk via ATO. I use RO/DI water with H20cean salt, two little fishes GAC and GFO in the deltec media chamber, no additives besides kalk and weekly water changes of 10% - 20%. Currently feeding assorted frozen foods, phytofeast live, small pellets for fishies and shrimp.

Current residents:
Corals:
Small cluster of GSP (Green Marine)
One acan head frag (Neptune)
some zoas, small clove polyps. (Baymac)
Blue Acro (Green Marine)
Pink birdsnest (Green Marine)
Brown Birdsnest (Green Marine)
Teal Millepora (Green Marine)
Bali Green slimer (thanks John, screebo, from the last meeting)
T. Maxima Ultra blue (Green Marine)
M. Undata (jedi mind trick) (Neptune)
Purple M. Cap (thanks John, screebo, from the last meeting)
hot pink M. Cap (Green Marine)
Xmas favia (Green Marine)
Green Toadstool Leather (neptune)
Kenya Tree (free from neptune)

CUC:
Emerald Crab
Tiger Pistol Shrimp
3 Nassarius Snails
Cerith and Trochus Snails
Brittle starfish and other hitchers
Blue and Black/white legged hermit crabs

Fish:
from green marine / ORA
Darwin Clown pair
Canary Blenny
Neon Goby
From Neptune:
Six line wrasse

Had a McCosker's flasher wrasse which was too big so I caught him with a fish trap and gave him to a friend.

Those pictures are great, I like the picture of the Kenya Tree and the clam. I once heard no two clams are alike.

P.S: I love Unagi(eel sushi)

Welcome aboard and you're welcome for the Slimer. I like unagi too! In the "early days" of sushi popularity, I used to serve it at home to my unititiated friends and Uniagi was always on the menu. Seems that I had a natural rolling talent ;) so I did lots of maki rolls as well. I converted more of my friends to a very expensive food habit that I want to think about. Starting with a nice hot saki and the rest is history.

This probably does not sound good but a really good roll is raw tuna wrapped in seaweed surrounded in rice which is covered in flying fish roe and a slice of green kiwi on top of it all.

nudibranch said:
This probably does not sound good but a really good roll is raw tuna wrapped in seaweed surrounded in rice which is covered in flying fish roe and a slice of green kiwi on top of it all.
Man, what I wouldn't give for a nice nori cup of Uni right now! Or some nice Tobiko with raw quail egg on top..........(gotta stop it RIGHT NOW!) J)

Nice You-Tube content. Somehow I ended up with 50 Cent doing "Shake That Ass, Girl" after seeing your tank. How did that happen? LOL :O

gwalls said:
I have had a number of saltwater tanks going back to my first fish only saltwater tank with an undergravel filter in 92 or so. Then built some larger tanks with home made wet/dry filters. Finally settling on the Berlin method of reef aquariums, live rock, metal halide lights, surface skimmer, foam fractionator, GAC, kalkwasser, no mechanical filters. These types of tanks have always worked out well for me and are pretty easy to maintain. My first Berlin reef tank was with a 150w 5500k metal halide over a 20 gal tank with a sander's air driven counter current protein skimmer. It did very well but unfortunately I do not have any pics of any of my older tanks accept the one video of my last tank.

You my friend are old school. I had the same exact setup as you at the same time, at that time I was running pure VHO though, same tank, same skimmer, kalk. I loved my old tank, it rocked!

Those bastards collected Chinese restaurant tea IME. My buddy had a Skilter and I had a Little Giant counter current skimmer (currently Lee's design) before springing for a Sanders, everytime I was at his place his skimmer was overflowing water and my skimmer was at home making Texas Tea, Black Gold (quote from Beavis to keep it real contextually).

No one likes my video? I know the editing sucks and the color is washed out and the exposure and focus could be better. Anyone have any experience making videos and can recommend good camera settings? I have a canon vixia HG21 camera.

I like your video. It's bangin! Watch out for those blue clove polyps though, they will take over your tank IME. I like the blue acro you got from Green Marine.

ROooccoooosss Mooodeern Lifffeeee.

I loved that cartoon.

sendo said:
I like your video. It's bangin! Watch out for those blue clove polyps though, they will take over your tank IME. I like the blue acro you got from Green Marine.

ROooccoooosss Mooodeern Lifffeeee.

I loved that cartoon.

Ya the blue cloves do spread pretty fast. do you think they are as bad as GSP or as hard to remove?

Back