got ethical husbandry?

Raising ceriths from eggs?

IOnceWasLegend

Frag Swap Coordinator
BOD
So my ceriths just laid some eggs, and I was curious how hard it is to raise them. Does anybody have any tips, or know how long it'll take for them to hatch?

Thanks!

I started out with 12 cerith snails and about a year later had literally thousands. I don’t remember ever seeing what I recognized as eggs though.

I used to have a sustained Trochus population. It was great.
Then I got a big wrasse.....

I noticed my sea hare eating baby trochus snails the other day, just ploughing through whatever was in its path that could fit in its mouth. I was pretty annoyed.

So now if I am around when trochus spawn I remove my filter socks for a day to give some of them a chance to root in the sump. The rest of the snail eggs provide a feast for fish and corals.

But I thought the point of Ceriths was to help feed fish with their eggs that stick to the glass?

Update: pretty sure the ceriths hatched, since there's a bunch of super tiny (smaller than the head of a pin) white speckles on the glass all over the tank that appeared at about the same time the egg 'squiggles' started dissolving.

Fingers crossed some of the babies survive!

Yeah, they're moving. At first I thought it was some particulate stuck to the glass, but when I looked really close I could see them moving a bit every few seconds.

My ceriths lay a lot of eggs but very few if any survive to adult snails. Don’t know why. My trochus snails successfully reproduce.

Back