Reef nutrition

Red digi? bleaching

Apon

Supporting Member
ok so I have this red digi I got from a MARs swap over a year ago that was light pink....Everyone told me it was bleached out and will probably turn red if the tank conditions are better. it did in my tank for a while, but now its white again? My yellow digi is fine and my other sps has held colors well over a year. Any thoughts on what is wrong? it is kind of cool looking to have white polpys, but I know its not a good sign.

If I was on RC I'd say "what are the Parameters? Alk Cal Mag, What about lighting?, do you have a skimmer?, did you look for nudis? we need to know more".

But we're here, and I know you know how to keep stuff alive. Perhaps the piece was clinging to life the entire time due to it being bleached out in the first place. You said you got it at a frag swap, a lot of the pieces at frag swaps are half dead to begin with (the previous statement is no reflection of the views of BAR or its BOD). A mature system like yours is normally a great place for digis with plenty of bacterial food, stability, and you've got good lighting. My vote goes to "not meant to happen".

Strange thing is, Its still growing and alive, but just white. I should bring a piece to you and you can color it up for me.

[quote author=Apon link=topic=2766.msg29141#msg29141 date=1199329940]
Strange thing is, Its still growing and alive, but just white. I should bring a piece to you and you can color it up for me.
[/quote]You like brown... Mebbie metallic tan?

Apon, Digis are very sensitive to salinity changes, temp changes, people always call it a hardy and easy coral but in my experience, they are very sensitive to changes, and they are also the first to react to chemical warfare from other corals in your tank. I would check the salinity and run carbons

I had a piece like that for at lease 6 months. I started adding some iodine and K, lowered my PO4, and its coloring up. Of course, it could be anything.

Digi used to be bulletproof. Weird eh?

I just added K and got back a lot of my lost monti color. The polyp color is back now, but the flesh color has yet to retrun :(

[quote author=Raddogz link=topic=2766.msg29173#msg29173 date=1199391884]
Where did you guys get the K from?
[/quote]

See the resource forum :)

Tom, that joke was as funny as it was helpful :) It sounds better when Eddie Murphy does his cereal bit :lol:

http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?topic=2679.0

Tom, I think you are right I finally remembered to check my salinity and it was high 1.028

I am going to slowing bring it back down......strange that the other corals and clams didn't show signs of stress.

Back