Reef nutrition

Reef Lighting

Hello - Need some lighting help. How does two L3 Minis w/250W stack up against a Corallife 2x250W MH w 2x96W PC? Also, if I did go with the L3 Minis, what is the type/brand of ballast would you recommend? I'm looking to upgrade my lighting. Thank you.

Doug,

How big is the tank?

If you did not get in on the group buy I will have two Lumenarc mini's up for sale since I'm going to the larger L3.

The lumenarcs will blow any other fixture away in my opinion. I can get sps to grow and color up at the bottom of my 24" inch depth tank and as you may have seen the lumenarc fixture is still six to eight inches from the surface of the water.

I should add I use IceCap 250w ballasts.

Let's see.....

2x250w=500w mh light / 50g = 10w/Gal

Yeah, I'd say you'll be just fine to grow anything.

However, I will say that you may have problems with certain corals with that much light. I wouldn't run 10K lights. That's what I have and I believe it is causing issues with certain LPS corals. But, my softies and SPS are growing like MAD!

Eileen - the tank measurements are 48"L x 13"w x 21"H. Can you give me some more info on your minis and price? I was planning on getting in on the group buy. Thanks.

Dynogoe - Thanks for the advice. My LPS seems okay with the current 150's but I'm hoping this will help color some of my SPS....I think I've successfully taken over the "brown coral" title. But my phos reacotor is on the way and some other help!

With that dimension, it's better to get the PFO one. L3 mini is too big for that tank. I believe the dimension for the L3 mini is 15x15x6.5.

Correction:
Dimensions: 14.5"W x 14.5"H x 6.5"H

Back