got ethical husbandry?

Reef Nutrition Presentation on December 8

Please join us for a pesentation by Randy Reed of Reef Nutrition.

The presentation will be about "The Basics of Feeding Your Reef"

The meeting will be held at ASAP (http://www.bareefers.org/ASAP%20Directions.aspx) and will begin at 1pm.

We will be bringing the NEW IMPROVED formulation of Arcti-Pods to this meeting as raffle prizes, along with the rest of our line. Don't miss your chance to pick up a 8ounce bottle, yup, 8oz bottle, of all of them for the price of a raffle ticket...if you win :)

If I where to say just one thing about them, it would be

They don't float :)

I'd be interested to see how it compares to other meaty foods (mysis, brine, etc) nutritionally speaking. The whole ultra-float thing turned me off, as mentioned PITA to target feed, and if I fed my fish most of them would end up in the sump. However my fish did still eat every bit they could :D

hahahaha... no

My sump already is outside with indirect sunlight going down on it, which FYI the lps in my sunlit frag tank turned brown very easily, however upon moving it all back to the display tank the bright oranges and golds came back really quickly. Conclusion sunlight = not so good for "pretty" coral.

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=2546.msg27089#msg27089 date=1195854355]
I'd be interested to see how it compares to other meaty foods (mysis, brine, etc) nutritionally speaking. The whole ultra-float thing turned me off, as mentioned PITA to target feed, and if I fed my fish most of them would end up in the sump. However my fish did still eat every bit they could :D

[/quote]

We're all required to print the nutritional value on th side of the bottle so compairing shouldn't be hard if others are following the labelling laws :)

THere's a natural reason why they float, fatty acid chawked oil's :D They produce them in order to float from my understanding and they're harvested when they've got the most oil in them.

Wow; can't wait to hear more about the new Artipods. Feeding them has always been a pain since they float so readily.

I never really had a problem with mine floating away. I squirt right in front of my Tunze and the flow in my tank keeps them down until the get eaten :) I can see them floating away if you don't have enough flow though.

Great meeting!

Special thanks to Randy and Gresham for the great talk and all those yellow bags (and the stuff inside). Everything in my tank was happy to get their fill of neutrally buoyant Arctipods!

BTW, anyone else interested in hearing more about the roti culture setup that Norman will be working on tonight at 2am? :D

C

Yep, awesome turnout for an awesome presentation :D

No roti culture for me for now. I did have a lot of questions, having maintained rotifer and pod cultures last year when my frogfish were having babies.

Reef Nutrition had been kind enough to set me up with the cultures while I underwent a crash course in learning about hatching and raising baby frogfish :D

Sounds like I missed a good one, unfortunately the spasms in my back that kept me in a medicated (translation: I shouldn't be driving) state really made today a sleepy adventure of a day.

Back