Reef octopus essence 130 replaces Vertex IN 100

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by TNTFishy, Jun 25, 2019.

1. TNTFishy

TNTFishy Guest

9B4FAC46-312F-4E66-BA06-95529DDB1147.jpeg Pump size difference huge. Vertex on left

2. TNTFishy

TNTFishy Guest

Vertex has sturdier build. Reef O much smaller footprint and quieter, but a little top heavy because of narrow base. 20 watts to 11 watts.

Attached Files:

3. TNTFishy

TNTFishy Guest

About 7 inches of water. Adjustment at ā€œ16ā€ per instructions. About 1 1/2 hours later bubbles made it to the cup. Large bubbles at the moment. Will check tomorrow AM.

Attached Files:

4. TNTFishy

TNTFishy Guest

7 hours later, bubbles settled. A little more light skimmate in cup. I turned setting to 15.

Attached Files:

5. TNTFishy

TNTFishy Guest

3 days later, I have it set on 10.

Attached Files:

6. jccaclimber

jccaclimber Supporting Member

Any chance of running them at the same time to see which one ends up pulling the gunk?

7. TNTFishy

TNTFishy Guest

Sorry no. I think this is still breaking in. This is day 4 and the gunk is medium colored tea. Rotten egg smell. Iā€™m sure it will get better. My broken in Vertex pulled darker skimmate.

Started it Tuesday evening, this is Sat AM cup.

Setting it at 9 today. One click.

Attached Files:

8. TNTFishy

TNTFishy Guest

So 9 went ballistic. At 12-13 setting for about a week. The old Vertex seemed to have finer bubbles to the neck. For some reason, the bubbles enlarge in the neck on this skimmer. Skimmate still medium tea.

Attached Files:

9. rygh

rygh BOD

Large bubbles can sometimes signify oil. You might consider a strong vinegar scrub of that skimmer.
    Although some are normal, as small bubbles combine.

A suggestion:
    Turn down the pump a bit. Raise water level a lot.