Reef nutrition

Reef Optix MH Pendants

Hi - Wanted to know what y'all thought of Reef Optix III 250W MH Pendants with Blue Wave ballasts. Also, since the casing is electrogalvanized steel, does it run a lot hotter than aluminum and will it raise the water temp significantly in a 50 gallon tank? I live in the east bay so wondering if this is big concern during the summer months. The depth of my tank is 20 inches. Was thinking of using these in a canopy also. Thanks!

Yes, it (the casing) runs hot to the touch compared to a Lumenarc pendant.

The lumenarcs are cool until you get to the very top portion where it gets toasty.

You might run into the same issue with every DE pendent you run across simply because the glass shield tends to hold in a lot of the heat. I think hellolights has an ok DE reflector minus the black steel outer part for around $40. Shouldn't raise the temperature of your water by any significant amount. Besides if you're that worried, it wouldn't cost too much more to throw a computer fan up to blow across the reflector.

Good point Mike. LOL - I'm just thinking during the summer months the reflectors will be keeping cooler than I will if there's a fan on them.

They will run hot no matter what - they'll just seem to run hotter during the summer months. When I mean hot I mean you can't put your hand on it hot. This is one reason why I am not a huge fan of them.

Back